Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storage shed/observatory completed!

northcanadian

Hello:

I finally don't have to set up/take down/look for accessories in the dark at different sites. A friend had given me a few sheets of corrugated tin.

I roofed a new doghouse with some of it first, then decided to build a mini observatory. Some constraints were...small area in yard with southern exposure; fence on one side and 2 trees to contend with.

I did not have room for the support frame for a slideover roof, so I decided to try a split roof clam-type setup. Seems to work ok, but may build a pier sometime in the future!icon7.gif

post-14962-133877641975_thumb.jpg

post-14962-133877641983_thumb.jpg

post-14962-133877641991_thumb.jpg

post-14962-133877641999_thumb.jpg

post-14962-133877642007_thumb.jpg

post-14962-133877642017_thumb.jpg

post-14962-133877642023_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Northcanadian.

This is fantastic. Looks really well built also. I have just asked my dear old dad to help me build an obsy at my dark sky site ( static caravan with a big pitch ). The "clam style" roof looks perfect. Is it a one man job to open? and is it heavy?

Edited by Ewok

Thank you for your positive input. It really is a one-man job to open...If you notice at the far end of roof, there is a 2x4 lag bolted on. Just have to reach up and pull down to rest it on the support cradle.

On the front end I lift up on a bolt which goes through two thicknesses of 2x4's. May put one more bolt a bit further down, as I do have to reach fairly high.

Good luck with your anticipated setupicon7.gif

Very good ;) Just one small point - that roofing is designed to have the ridges in the direction of run off. With your orientation some rain water will be trapped behind the ridges and run of down the sides. Just something to bear in mind if you haven't already done so. Hope that helps :rolleyes:

Love split roof idea. I also haven’t got a lot of room in my garden and to be honest I don’t like the view of roll on/off design. So one beautiful day when I will build my own obsy.

Good work Northcanadian, that design ticks a lot of boxes.

What kind of hinges did you use?

Can you see much with the top section left in place?

Don't worry Gina, it never rains in North Canada (9 months of snow, 3 months of hail - only joking)

Cheers

Michael

Thank you for your comments.

I used 4 door hinges on each side...wanted to use all 4" but the hardware store did not have enough, so I used 4" on the ends and 3" in the centre.

I probably would have oriented the corrugations vertically, but only had enough tin for this. The open fluted ends are capped with wood plugs...all caulked and sealed.

Have not yet tried with just the bottom half open, as I do have to open top half first, because of the overlap over the bottom roof.

Cheers

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

This obsy is a good design, I can see why you have placed the tins in the horizontal position as this provides a good seal with the corrugations.

If you were to project the tins over the sides by 100 mm and then turn the edges down to 30 degrees the rainwater would run off the edge  and not run back to the obsy.

nice job, looks like it may be goodbye to my greenhouse. cheers

• 2 years later...
On 03/08/2011 at 17:01, northcanadian said:

Hello:

I finally don't have to set up/take down/look for accessories in the dark at different sites. A friend had given me a few sheets of corrugated tin.

I roofed a new doghouse with some of it first, then decided to build a mini observatory. Some constraints were...small area in yard with southern exposure; fence on one side and 2 trees to contend with.

I did not have room for the support frame for a slideover roof, so I decided to try a split roof clam-type setup. Seems to work ok, but may build a pier sometime in the future!icon7.gif

post-14962-133877641975_thumb.jpg

post-14962-133877641983_thumb.jpg

post-14962-133877641991_thumb.jpg

post-14962-133877641999_thumb.jpg

post-14962-133877642007_thumb.jpg

post-14962-133877642017_thumb.jpg

post-14962-133877642023_thumb.jpg

Well, i like it lot with a pier inside it would work down here in Yuma. you have me thinking