NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Brecon Beacons National Park bids for dark sky tourism

laser_jock99

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that would be super! must get up there soon. am enjoying the 7th day of blanket cloud 2night :) go wales!!

It's not all bad- we had clear skies here in Mid Wales on Friday night- didn't look promising to start with then cleared about 23:00 till 03:00. Got a few tripod shots of the Milky Way.

Dscf1811.jpg

Good to see Mr Trow getting on TV.

CAS were there on Saturday doing a solar event and between CAS and Dark sky Wales do a number of events there each year that are well supported.

the site is dark but does have some Ingres from Cardiff, Newport, Swansea lights but it has never spoiled any sessions i have had there. if anything the light issues have come from local buildings with high power spotlights lighting the farm yards and trust me there was only two and one of them was over two miles away it is all according to where you set up we set up next to a road on a bit of flat ground only three cars passed in a four hour period so it was not to bad. i have been watching this bid gather momentum for a while now and hope they get the status. Will they get an observatory on site there ;-) watch this space as they say. I certainly hope so.

I likewise had a go at some tripod shots in the Brecon Beacons earlier this year....would love to have had a go with some tracking though! My EQ6 does NOT travel from its home, rickety though it may be.

5805967490_4f291bf8d1_z.jpg

It's not all bad- we had clear skies here in Mid Wales on Friday night- didn't look promising to start with then cleared about 23:00 till 03:00. Got a few tripod shots of the Milky Way.

Dscf1811.jpg

Jock,

Just love the glimmering magic of the Milky Way, well captured.

What's the exposure times on this?

I'd like to do one of my area to compare. :)

There was an article about this in the Daily Mail a couple of weeks ago. Also stated that the visitor centre is open on the evening of Friday 12th to coincide with the Perseids. Little bit pricey especially for a family.

G.

Perseid Meteor Shower

Friday 12 Aug 19.30-23.00

Perseid Meteor Shower

at the Mountain Centre, LD3 8ER.

Come and view one of nature’s finest shows: the Perseid meteor shower, live from the dark skies above the National Park. Experts from Dark Sky Wales will help you explore the heavens in their portable planetarium; view stars and planets through telescopes. If it is cloudy there will be a range of lectures on the subject. Cost: Adults: £8.00, Children (minimum age 10 years): £5.00. Booking essential ON 01874 623366. Price includes parking, entry to the planetarium and a hot jacket potato.

Say they get Dark Sky status, then what? Does that mean nearby farmers can't use bad lighting? Does it place any restrictions on lighting in nearby towns? Or is it just a badge that says "good stuff: your skies are dark for the moment until nearby light pollution jacks up"?

I'm not trolling, I genuinely want to know what it means for somewhere to be a dark sky zone.

Jock,

Just love the glimmering magic of the Milky Way, well captured.

What's the exposure times on this?

I'd like to do one of my area to compare. :)

This was 120 seconds at ISO3200 F4, 10mm wide angle lens.

My shot was taken in Mid Wales, near Llanidloes- I suspect the skies are darker here than Brecon as there are no major towns due South.

Brecon light pollution map

southwaleslightpollution.jpg

vs Mid Wales light pollution map

CambrianLightPollution.jpg

Archived