Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Brecon Beacons National Park bids for dark sky tourism

laser_jock99

I likewise had a go at some tripod shots in the Brecon Beacons earlier this year....would love to have had a go with some tracking though! My EQ6 does NOT travel from its home, rickety though it may be.

5805967490_4f291bf8d1_z.jpg

Nice shot - though the light pollution is clearly there. Very similar to a shot I took from Wales looking Eastwards towards the 'light dome' that is The Midlands......

Dscf2302.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to agree with Pete the light pol from the centre is not the best so i will be following the progress of the application with some interest. i also agree west wales if you can do away with the LP from the milford haven area that is what presented the LP dome when i was down at trefach camp site and it was dark there as well. i think s wales will never be great but the country side has so much more to offer than in the city. but there are many imagers on here that do their imaging from the city and get cracking images I have the light dome of caerphilly to contend with and then cardiff a bit further on. it has got that bad i dont do any imaging from my home any more.

the article in the mail mentioned earlier in this thread carried a picture of myslef and my scope with a youngster looking through it at the IYA spring moonwatch. this is the second time this image has been used first time was on the front of the science in parliament magazine back in the summer of 2009.

http://www.vmine.net/scienceinparliament/sip66-2.pdf the little one was looking at the moon. taken at the mountain center brecon.

I lived just outside Crickhowell until I was 11 and whilst I think it would be great for the Beacons to get some sort of dark sky status it also saddens me that the light pollution in that part of Wales is now so bad. It truly is one of the most jaw-droppingly stunning parts of the UK.

James

Archived