Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Final 2011 Cygnus Region Widefield Mosiac : Very Large FOV

Catanonia

Hi everyone, it has been quite a long project this one for the summer months, imaging a large mosaic of the Cygnus area covering the North American Nebula, Pelican Nebula and beyond.

Most images you see of this region are of the NAN and Pelican, but I wanted to show in detail the wonderful structures surround the more common areas.

Some of the dust cloud structures to the right hand side of the image are amazing and so much forgotten about.

I have been doing this image for most of June and July and now have an image I am pleased with covering the NGC7000, IC 5070, Deneb and onwards towards the Crescent area.

I started with the North American and decided that this would make a super project for each year in the summer months, adding to it year by year. Who knows where it will end in a few years time.

So here is this years contribution to the mosaic (although I may add some more this year if we get more clear skies before August)

It comprises of 12 panels, each with a FOV of 300mm @ F4.9 using the Williams Optics WO66 and WO II Flattener. Each sub was 15mins and about 2 hours per panel so about 20 (ish) hours capturing here.

Taken with the QHY9 Mono CCD at -20 and a Ha 8nm filter. All sitting on top of a EQ6 Pro mount with guided with a ED80 + QHY5 + PHD.

Processing , stitching was all done in PixInsight with the final tweeks done with Photoshop CS5.

It has taken me about 2 days to process and stitch together these panels and it certainly tested the power and capacity of my computer with memory usage over 4gb on the final image processing.

The full 1:1 crop is over 12,000 pixels wide and here is a link for those brave enough

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10801850/Astro%20Pictures/Large%20Files/Cygnus%20Widefield.jpg Warning 30mb in size

I have reduced it to 2000 pixels for posting on the site.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I have in capturing and processing it. Hopefully I will expand it downwards and to the right all the way over the the Crescent Nebula soon, or next year.

Thanks for looking.

Cat

post-16631-133877632399_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Cat.

I have just downloaded your mosaic and looked at it with my photo viewer and I have to admit that it is the most incredible thing I have ever seen.

If you would give me permission I would love to see if I can get it printed out at full size.

Outstanding piece of work.

Hi Cat.

I have just downloaded your mosaic and looked at it with my photo viewer and I have to admit that it is the most incredible thing I have ever seen.

If you would give me permission I would love to see if I can get it printed out at full size.

Outstanding piece of work.

Mate you are reading my mind and I would love to get this printed out myself for framing on the wall.

I have absolutely no problems if you can want to get it printed out, but can I ask one thing please in return.

Give me the option to in letting me know when you work out how to and how much it will cost to print out and I would like to double the order (I will pay) so I can have a copy too.

PM me if you get a price for the work and I will happily send you re-imbursement for the additional order.

Glad you like it.

Super Stuff Cat :D

Depending on your "horizon" you could keep adding to this for a while yet... but i guess its a good use of the short nights .. and there will be other "gems" around ...

Peter...

Thanks Peter, I definately want to expand out downwards one more panel and to the right over to the Crescent Nebula.

In a few years time, it may even stretch down to the Veil complex, but that is some distance south of the NAN :p

Just an update for the folks reading this.

I have seen some people I know and If it this is reproduced at full size you will have a photo 4258mm x 2251mm or in old money it is 14 feet x 7 feet 5 inches.

Impressive or what.

Mate you are reading my mind and I would love to get this printed out myself for framing on the wall.

I have absolutely no problems if you can want to get it printed out, but can I ask one thing please in return.

Give me the option to in letting me know when you work out how to and how much it will cost to print out and I would like to double the order (I will pay) so I can have a copy too.

PM me if you get a price for the work and I will happily send you re-imbursement for the additional order.

Glad you like it.

Ive just got a poster made of one of mine - 20"x 30" at Max Spielmann - £20

Thanks all, definately going to look at some of the sites mentioned to me in this thread and via PM for printing large this image.

The Max Spielman suggestion, definately sounds very good.

So tempted to add more to this soon, but autumn is closing in and time to crack out the MN190 :D

Oh yessss! Yes yes yes!

This is definitive. It's superbly done and from northern latitudes with short summer nights the achievement is all the greater. A very low bow and doffed hat from me sir!

The NAN/Pelican really does need this scale because the structures just go on and on. Look at that black snake of dust curling down, down and down from the Pelican's bill.

You have a great work of astronomical art here.

Olly

Thanks Olly, very high praise indeed and makes up for all the time and effort I have put into this image.

Definitely having this one on file to add to over the next few years to see how far I can go with it.

Congrats on a superb pic, and I'm only viewing it on the small scale. I'm mobile at the moment and the 30Meg would eat my laptop.

Its a great project and I hope you keep adding to it. Lots of ripples in the Ha to be seen.

Tom.

Thanks Tom,

I was amazed how much more there is when you image it close up and then mosaic.

Seen many pictures of single shot of this region and you don't see the detail. It was just begging for a mosaic.

Thanks again

Thanks Tom,

I was amazed how much more there is when you image it close up and then mosaic.

Seen many pictures of single shot of this region and you don't see the detail. It was just begging for a mosaic.

Thanks again

I know it's a lot of work but in very short FLs you just don't get the powder-tiny stars that make the nebulae look so majestic. It's worth it.

Olly

Archived