Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 revisited

Trevor N

Managed to get some more mono data for this image and I believe this has improved the detail. It was taken through a celestron 9.25 with f6.3 reducer. I used an atik 314L. About 90 mins mono and 45 mins colour. Regards , Trevor

post-14998-133877631595_thumb.jpg

Have you used any noise reduction or blur on the image? I think you've overdone it and washed out some of the galaxy detail? There is detail there to be seen and a little bit of noise in the image and greater detail in the galaxy is a better trade off I think?

Matt.

Thanks for the comments. This is a full frame image using the f6.3 reducer on the c9.25. I have used noise reduction in the surrounding area but not much on the galaxy itself. I agree its always a trade off with detail and noise reduction. I've always imaged with shorter focus refractors before and found the guiding more difficult and of course atmospherics more noticeable. Like everything else in life its all about trying to get the balance right. All good fun though. Most of the data was captured before the recent nova. Regards , Trevor

Archived