Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I can't help it.... they're so beauuuutifulll!!

I had a dream recently about these things. It was all totally fantastic and the view through it was just ... boggling.

I'm talking about the WO refractors <dribbles>. They look soo shiny and just ooze quality. The ZS66s are ever so slightly more jaw-dropping-inspiring aesthetically than the Megrez 90, but I still wouldn't say no! Just the sight of them on the Altair Astro site make me want to get out my wallet and start doing silly things with it!

Obviously their gorgeousness doesn't just extend to their good looks - they must give a nice view. If I had a lot of cash to splash around with, I would have a ZS66. I would pop it in it's case and hop along the road away from the city with a small sturdy tripod and let it show me what it can.

But aside from good looks and portability, why would you choose one over an 80ED? Are the WO optics really worth sacrificing 46% of light for about the same cash? And what tend to be the best subjects with them?

I really want to take a peek through a few WO fracs. Who's coming to SGL party with one? A FS110 (or however you abbreviate it) would be a lovely thing to see through.

Andrew

Andrew,

They are all great scopes. The 80ed is pretty good optically and even the standard focuser is pretty decent. Therefore for me the 80ed is better than the zs66 for viewing. Not as good build quality but I have used both and the view through the 80ed wins for me. The zs66 is obviously more compact.

I hope to be at the starparty and if you are there you are welcome to have a peep through a zs66, (and an flt110 if I have room). (If I go so do the family and there might no be room in the motor car)

Anthony

:)

I've mumbled on about this before. The WO scopes are pretty things and I don't like paying for pretty when it comes to scopes. On the other hand the optics on my ZS66 are great and I love the focusser.

thanks a lot all. I would love to have a test drive when the opportunity arises. These beauties seem to please their owners across the board.

depends if you want to look at it or look through it 8)

that depends on whether or not it's cloudy!!

Andrew

They do perform nicley dont they

But no better than Skywatcher ED's - or a least that was my experience with the WO Megrez 90 that I owned. I sold my Megrez and managed to buy an ED80 and a C8 SCT with what I got for it :) :)

John

thanks a lot all. I would love to have a test drive when the opportunity arises. These beauties seem to please their owners across the board.

depends if you want to look at it or look through it 8)

that depends on whether or not it's cloudy!!

Andrew

Not really. :)

You can always "pimp my ED" and go for a paint job, or carbon fibre tube with a fancy Crayford stuck on. Wouldn't be able to do that with a Megrez, now would you?

Captain Chaos

Looks like William Optics are doing a good job of "pimping" their own scopes:

http://tinyurl.com/2yqsla

I wonder if they would do the same for the UK market ? - My North Somerset WO 66 would have to have a flagon of cider and a cheddar chees on it :)

John

Archived