Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Latest with my Super Mosiac

Catanonia

EDIT SCROLL DOWN FOR LATEST ADDITIONS

My on going project is to image the whole Cygnus region around the North American Nebula and beyond.

I am doing this as summer project in Ha as dark nights are limited and Ha responds better for longer periods as well as being unaffected by the moon.

Each frame is with my Williams Optics WO66 with a Flattener II attached along with a QHY9 Mono and HA 8nm filter.

This gives each panel about 300mm at F4.7 and each panel is made up of about 2 - 3 hours of 15min subs. So about 12 hours work so far over 4 nights.

So far I have managed 4 panels and stiched them together with PixInsight.

All work has been done with PixInsight, with slight touching up with CS5

So here is work in progress, definately going tokeep adding to this over the summer nights for the next few years.

Full size version here for those brave enough

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10801850/Astro%20Pictures/Large%20Files/NGC%207000%20Mosiac%204%20Parts.jpg 9MB in size

post-16631-133877624809_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all, looking good tonight so hopefully get another panel tacken. Going to add 2 more to the top and 2 more to the left to center the NAN and Pelican before expanding out towards the Crescent area of Cygnus.

I reckon about 32 panes should do it justice, so probably will not finish it this summer.

Nice project to keep me going during the short summer months for the next year or so.

I managed to get another 2 panes last night so here is a quick teaser. So total of 6 panes at 300mm and about 15 hours so far

Obviously reduced in size, the real size is 6000x6000 pixels at 100% but this is a teaser. (if you click and expand in IE window this is 1/3 of the true size)

I haven't bothered to blend the panes properly yet, I will leave that until I have my final image, hence the obvious merge lines in the image.

Looks clear tonight too, so might be able to add another 2 panes to the left hand side off the NAN

BTW the bright star to to centre right is Deneb.

post-16631-1338776257_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Been busy with this project and managed to get another 4 frames on to the mosiac.

Here is a sneak preview

The posted image is 1000 pixels wide, the real one is 12,000 Pixels wide !!!!!

No proper processing, just a quick mosaic to see the processing.

post-16631-133877627461_thumb.jpg

Is it Mosaic madness season or what?

Looking good so far - crack on!!

LOL, short nights, moon around when it is dark makes for great Ha Mosiac projects. Maximise time spent on target with Ha

... Silly question - Have you decided when you're going to stop, or is this going to be something you'll be picking up every now and then...? This could almost become a sky map...!

Good question... It will grow each year so who knows :). Will add to it every summer during the short nights.

Ok looks like the weather is closing in for the week, so here is the progress so far with 11 panes at F4.9 300mm.

Each pane is 90mins in 15min stacks and combined with PI

The attached image is 2000 Pixels wide (1/6th of the original size)

A little processing, but not full processing until I get more panes to make it worthwhile. But a taster.

(I need to sort out a few of the star shapes on some of the panes by removing the bad subs, might have to re-shoot some)

For those interested, here is the full sized image.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10801850/Astro%20Pictures/Large%20Files/Cygnus%20Mosiac%20Full.jpg Be warned it is 30mb in size.

Hopefully next week, if the skies clear I can continue to extend it out more. I would love to get another layer added to the bottom and extend out to the right by another layer as well.

Fingers crossed for more clear skies whilst summer is with us, before I der-rig and go back onto the MN190 setup.

Hope you enjoy. There probably won't be any other updates for a few weeks unless the clouds suddenly disobey physics laws :)

Cat

post-16631-133877629002_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's finished... This would make an amazing wallpaper! Do you reckon you'll be adding OIII/SII at all, or just leave it Ha/mono?

[Thought - I wonder how many light years across that FOV is... :icon_scratch:]

Archived