Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Party on Dartmoor?

JKB

OK I am really just putting out some feelers but wondered how many might be interested in a star party on Dartmoor? Clear skies (hopefully) with the minimal LP.

I was thinking around mid to late October.

Any views or thoughts please. I am more than happy to organise the event. ;)

Cheers

Jamie

I would definitely be up for some of that! Maybe somewhere near the Warreners pub which does a mean Rabbit Pie (so fresh you have to be careful to pick out any shotgun pellets! and yes, I`m serious!)

• 3 weeks later...

Only just caught this post. I think it is a excellent idea. Most star parties are the other end of the country. I would definately be interested. There are quite a few new members in the Devon and Cornwall area and I am sure you would be able to get a fair turn out.:D

Lived down there for a while.

For a location how about just south of Yelverton?

The area is flat, think there is a decent sized car park now.

Yelverton is close for pubs and food, down the A386 is a large Tesco at the Northern outskirts of Plymouth for those that don't want to eat out.

Few other pubs and eating places around, visited a few when down there.

Access is fairly easy to Plymouth via the A38, Tavistock and the A30 is to the North.

Almost on the boarder of Devon/Cornwall so probably reasonable distance for all down that way.

M5 and A303 gives a decent trip for others from a bit further afield.

Has anyone tried a star party at the Norman Lockyear Obs?

Own grounds, big observatory, just a thought. Further east then Plymouth/Dartmoor.

When I was there you didn't need a scope simply looking up revealed the milky way in a fairly glorious way.

I do recall that the sheep tended to sleep in the road, making driving at night a pain. They might be big and white but they are still difficult to see.

I'd probably be in, if i can afford camping gear (i have none at the moment). There seem to be a lot of people in the south west on here, so there should be a good turn out. Don't know the moor well enough to suggest somewhere. The problem with it being so high and exposed is that it gets pretty windy on the high moor. but it has great skys.

Well it looks like this thread has sparked some interest! :D I will do a little digging and see what/where might be the most suitable location and get back to you all with some more ideas.

Camping is free on Dartmoor but it might be good to find a small secluded camp site so we have all the necessary amenities?

Cheers

Jamie

it might be good to find a small secluded camp site so we have all the necessary amenities?

Cheers

Jamie

amen to that. secluded is good - those main beam headlights on the moor travel a long way.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I have an interest too although personally the more remote the better.

Regards Steve

As an astronomer too poor to be able to afford stuff like these new "motors" and stuff everyone's talking about, i don't mind how remote we go. though i realise many people need 'leckie.

though i realise many people need 'leckie.

Appreciate that, but Electrickery can be mobile. Dark skies aren't.

I would rather pay extra for them to have porta power eg generators than observe from a campsite with so- so views.

I can even bring a generator to help out.

It's a long way to come if the sky darkness has been compromised just to get electric hook ups.

Regards Steve

Appreciate that, but Electrickery can be mobile. Dark skies aren't.

I would rather pay extra for them to have porta power eg generators than observe from a campsite with so- so views.

I can even bring a generator to help out.

It's a long way to come if the sky darkness has been compromised just to get electric hook ups.

Regards Steve

Yeah, that's what I meant, though you expressed it better than I did.

There is a turning off to the north of the Two bridges to Merryvale road. The track heads out next to woodland and onto the moor between Great Miss and Rough tors. Used to be one of my favourite places to camp, many moons ago. Don't know what it's like now, not been down that way for years.

Another possibility could be to somehow get permission from the Army guy at Okehampton (if they are still there?) and run out on one of the tracks into the north moor. I'm just thinking about car access to the middle of the moor for darkest skies.

There is a turning off to the north of the Two bridges to Merryvale road. The track heads out next to woodland and onto the moor between Great Miss and Rough tors. Used to be one of my favourite places to camp, many moons ago. Don't know what it's like now, not been down that way for years.

Another possibility could be to somehow get permission from the Army guy at Okehampton (if they are still there?) and run out on one of the tracks into the north moor. I'm just thinking about car access to the middle of the moor for darkest skies.

I am in the Mountain Rescue group for the North Moor at Okehampton so know some people in the camp. I think north would be better as further from the major LP of Plymouth etc..

Still working on where might be best but pretty sure I can get something sorted.

Cheers

Jamie

Archived