Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barred spiral galaxy NGC 2903.

RobH

Thanks again folks :D

As for diffraction spikes....they are a matter of personal choice if you've got a refractor, and I find thay add a bit of sparkle to an image if used on selective stars. One could of course cover the entire image with them and thus stand a chance of getting an APOD :)

Cheers

Rob

;):hello2:

But don't forget the saturation!!

Olly

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic Rob! The detail in the core is great and the star colour, particularly the bright golden one, adds a 'sparkle'.

I can see the argument either way for the diffraction spikes, that's what's good about refractors I suppose, you can choose whether to add them or not.

Jordan

Half the pics you see have been airbrushed more than Kate Winselt after a couple of bacon butties.

;):D:D:D

I use Noel Carboni's starspikes pro....it gives complete control of the angle, diffusion , length etc.

There is a simpler version in his 'Noel's actions' package too.

I add them as a separate layer, and then erase the ones I don't want and adjust the opacity of what remains until it looks right to me.

Rob

The galaxy detail is superb and the background looks perfectly calibrated. The whole image shows no signs of stretching, very nice.

I like the selective use of spikes, in Star Spikes Pro 2 you can individually select which stars will have the spikes.

Cheers,

Rich.

Missed this! Beautiful work Rob. Loads of data and then a finely crafted process.

Star spikes - I like the way you have used them, used well they can give an extra sense of vibrancy. Stars twinkle after all.

I see you binned for the galaxy and did unbinned for the stars and I understand the reason why. It's difficult to argue against binning for the galaxy since the colour is for hue and saturation, let the luminence do the work on the detail. With the exposure lengths you've used your stars will be bloated compared with unbinned, I would be interested to see how you found binning the outer star field using much shorter exposures - around 30 seconds say. Doing this I find the stars don't bloat at longer focal lengths.

Archived