Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just a quick hi and a thanks

madmaveric

Just wanted to say hi as I've just joined.

I had a recomendation to have a look on here for information about buying a scope for a good friends birthday present and I must say what a nice and helpful bunch you lot are.

So helpfull in fact that I found most of what I needed to know without having to ask :)

So I've now ordered a scope and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

I have found that even though I know very little about the stars before now that, in a couple of days, I'm looking forward to having a play with the birthday present myself when it gets unwrapped. Hmm I wonder if I have room in my life for another hobby ...

So a big thanks to all who have taken the time and answered peoples questions on here in the past.

P.S. love the pics.

It was one of my friends I know through another hobby (old vw camper vans) who suggested this site, I'm not sure what his name is on here though.

I eventually settled on the Skyhawk 1145PM as it had good reviews and a 'best buy' award from one of the magazines. It is probably the bottom of the range for a starter scope but hopefully it will be enough to keep the birthday girl happy when camped out in various fields around the country. we also live right on the edge of the new forest so hopefully we can get some good views out the way of the ambient lights.

I had already decided to get one from www.firstlightoptics.com as the site seems professional and has that feel of knowledge/respectability/honesty about it that a lot don't. As it's my first buy I feel more comfortable using a site that isn't just another 'discount warehouse' although the prices seemed good in comparison to the others I'd seen, I also got a discount for being on here as well :)

I must admit that the search for this last minute present (had trouble coming up with what to get at first) has been a bit frantic. Ideally I'd have had a bit more time in order to look around more first but this site and others helped a lot. I did find myself looking at all the scopes and articles and buying for myself though :). The usual things like 'I would want that and that and a bigger one of those and this add-on etc etc. At one point I made a quick calculation at about £700 before I realised it wasn't a present for myself lol. Is there such a thing as 'aperture envy' :D

Lol. I think I may have that already then, and I don't even own a scope of my own yet :)

I'm hoping that it will turn up in time for the weekend as I believe that Saturn will be in view and that would add an extra birthday present if that was the first thing to be seen :) If not then hopefully we can still catch it next week. I just wish now I'd had the idea earlier to have more time to look into it and get all the things sorted without that rushed feeling.

I've been trying to swat up on a free program I got off a magazine called red-shift. Using that I think I managed to eyeball Saturn last night. It was a good feeling to finally look up and actually know what that little dot in the sky was. I was surprised how bright it was for a planet, just hope we can get it in the scope (that’s if I was doing it right and it wasn't a plane or satellite :D )

I'm hoping that it will turn up in time for the weekend as I believe that Saturn will be in view...

Looks like it'll be Monday (I did try).

Not to worry, Saturn will still be riding high and the Moon will be below the horizon 8)

Thanks for the call letting me know Steve, top service :D

Not a problem with it being Monday as that's still in time for the birthday. I didn't realise that the planets are visible for such a long period, I always thought that they appeared and then a couple of nights later they went out of view lol. Think I have a lot to learn, but that's part of the fun isn't it :)

Just hoping now that Monday will be all clear and dry :)

• 3 weeks later...

Took a while to get round to replying but I've now sen :saturn: and the :moon:

Bit thanks to Steve for the good service on the scope, he phoned to let me know it would be late and even threw in an extra gift which came in very handy.

The scope arrived just as the clouds set in so it was a few days before we got to use it. I did test it out before giving it as a present as the idea was to give the present then expertly set it up on Saturn and that woudl be the second present, the first view of the rings.

After the birthday girl had unwrapped all the bits and set it up it was a bit dissapointing to see nothing but clouds. Later that week though, whilst at mine watching a film, the clouds cleared. we jumped in the car and shot round to her's. While taking the dog for a quick walk round the garden the whole sky seemed clear, fantastic. We assended the three flights of stairs to the top floor flat where she lived, set up the scope in the lounge (apt for this message board I think :D ) and opened the window in the roof to see nothing but clouds :D never seen the whole sky covered in clous so quickly. About half an hour later we were just about to give up again when the sky cleared. Perfect. I set it up on Saturn (talk about luck, in the middle of the lounge with the scope pointed up out of the skylight there was saturn).

We have since had a look at the moon (ouch thats bright) and now plan to go out into the new forest when we get a clear night.

I found it difficult to get the image properly clear but that may be our lack of skill at the moment, or just the fact we were in the middle of bournemouth looking out of the skylight (heat from the flat all going out of the same window we were looking thorugh).

So thanks again to all on here who helped, and to Steve for the scope.

Happy stargazing.

The first rule of amateur astonomy is that it will be cloudy for weeks after your new scope/ astro gadget arrives. 6 weeks is my record... :D

The heat from the flat will be a massive (and I do mean massive) factor in you getting poor views, all that light is travelling millions of miles only to get messed up in the last few meters..... :D

Lol so true, millions of miles and its the last couple of feet that kill it. Somehow it just doesn't seem possible lol.

I think the rule works for everthing.

Brought my first windsurfer ... no wind for weeks

brought a remote controlled helicopter ... loads of wind for weeks

hmm maybe I could have used that to my advantage lol

If that theory holds true then all you need to do is buy something that requires plenty of cloud cover.... maybe this would do the trick to guarantee a clear sky:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloudspotters-Guide-Gavin-Pretor-Pinney/dp/0340895896/ref=pd_bbs_1/203-6412837-6946355?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175771065&sr=8-1

All you need to make sure is that you buy it the day after you get your scope :D

Archived