Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What are my options for fitting a Losmandy to an EQ6?

Johnboy2011

Thanks Helen. I've been offered a Geoptik at £120 s/h. I'm told it is more stable and less prone to flexure. If this is true then I think it's worth it at that price although I've not heard others compaining if this on an EQ6?

John

The latest NEQ6 ships with two saddles, standard Skywatcher one plus the one shown above from TS.

So you may find there are plenty of recent NEQ6 owners with the Losmandy version sat in a drawer gathering dust. Might be worth a post to Wanted section? I do understand though that the newer version doesn't fit the older EQ6 mount though, something to check.

Cheers

Ian

I have both the TS style one (actually a dual Vixen/Losmandy version supplied with a brand new NEQ6) and the ADM version. Both do the job just fine but the ADM version is just so well engineered. The SkyWatcher/TS version is cast rather than machined.

A hard decision that only you can make.....

I use the Geoptik dual saddle for my various telescopes - a combination of Vixen rails (ED80 etc) and the Losmandy (C9.25)

The Geoptik is a fully CNC machined anodise piece of beauty....works 100% for me.

.......is the EQ6 for £650 the pro version? ie is it truely comparable to a new nEQ6? If it is, then that is a good price for one.......but, like Carole, I think I'd pay the extra & get a new nEQ6 - especially if you want the losmandy head as that would probably be extra on the 2nd hand EQ6 bumping the cost up.

For info, I have this saddle & I'm happy with it (apart from nearly dropping my camera & lens off it on Saturday night when i did not tighten the lock up enough! - I now insert a screw through one the the plates holes to avoid a repeat):-

Altair TMS Dual Losmandy Saddle Plate Kit :: Mounting hardware :: Altair Astro

Yes it is a PRO so apart from the saddle I guess it is comparible to the new NEQ6. It is a 2009 so not too old, I guess the choice is go s'h, save £130 and have a better saddle or buy new, spend more but have peace of mind. As always there are lots of things I want to buy so the £130 would definatley be handy!

Still, at least after waiting so long for an EQ6 to come up for sale I have the choice!

Archived