NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

London Planetarium

reddoss

Is the new London Planetarium any good? I am think of taking some American friends, but have not been myself yet.

I remeber being taken on school astronomy club trips to the old one on Marylebone Road by my science teacher. It was a great experience as a child.

I used to love going there when I was a lot younger. That was many moons ago...! :)

I believe it's closed now ;) and no longer exists and it is no longer possible to visit it as a separate attraction. The web site is redirected to Madame Tussauds with a statement: "In 2006 the Planetarium was rebranded and renamed the Star Dome. The Star Dome is part of the Madame Tussauds attraction and is included in the ticket price. Please note that we no longer show astronomy-based shows" From last year, the building that once housed the London Planetarium houses the Marvel Superheroes 4D attraction. :)

Have you been to the Peter Harrison Planetarium??

I used to love going there when I was a lot younger. That was many moons ago...! :)

I believe it's closed now ;) and no longer exists and it is no longer possible to visit it as a separate attraction. The web site is redirected to Madame Tussauds with a statement: "In 2006 the Planetarium was rebranded and renamed the Star Dome. The Star Dome is part of the Madame Tussauds attraction and is included in the ticket price. Please note that we no longer show astronomy-based shows" From last year, the building that once housed the London Planetarium houses the Marvel Superheroes 4D attraction. :)

Have you been to the Peter Harrison Planetarium??

What a shame. I last went in 1989, such a magic experience. But the kids would love the Marvel 4D attraction.

Yes, I recall going in the mid 90s Russ! :)

Marvel comics and their characters are enjoyable; but to be honest I'm sure the old Planetarium was better! I'm prehaps being a little bias, and it's hard having a partial perspective considering this is SGL...:)

That place was what cemented the fascination for astronomy in me. We went on a family trip to London and did MT and then the Planetarium. Wow, to an 11 year old kid it was mind blowing.

I remeber them showing slides of galaxies, M31 in particular and being fascinated by the concept, I think thats why I am still fascinated by them.

Philj

That place was what cemented the fascination for astronomy in me. We went on a family trip to London and did MT and then the Planetarium. Wow, to an 11 year old kid it was mind blowing.

I remeber them showing slides of galaxies, M31 in particular and being fascinated by the concept, I think thats why I am still fascinated by them.

Philj

I can remember the shop area with all the posters and slide collections to buy. I bought stacks. Two lots of slides plus a Jupiter poster (that famous montage with all the moons) and Saturn poster.

We went back in for the laser show and ever since i associate Jean Michel Jarre with astronomy. Everytime Oxygen 5 (Magic Fly) plays it takes me back. Wonderful!

We also popped round to the BC&F shop ...... magical! Funny every time i see the original Harry Potter movie and they go in Olivanders wand shop, i think of BC&F.

Perhaps i'm looking back with rose tinted spectacles but the 80's seem a magical time for me.

Like Mark I would recommend a visit to Greenwich observatory and Planetarium. Obsy is free to boot.

As well in Greenwich you have the Naval Museum, Cutty Sark and Naval Acadamy with its amazing painted ceiling. On top of that if it is a nice day you could have a boat trip from Greenwich to Westminister.

I've not been to the new Harrison one at Greenwich, but the "old" one in one of the telescope domes was pretty good -- Harry Ford used to do some superb shows there.

I first went to the Baker Street one in 1962 on a trip to the UK -- absolutely stunning! Decades later, I took a class of 13-yr old pupils to which I was teaching astronomy. I was embarrassed that it was so disappointing and apologised to them. Gone was the superb Zeiss projector, replaced with the Evans & Sutherland Digistar II, and gone with it was the "look how fantastic our universe is", to be replaced by "look how clever our new kit is".

Reddos, if you are in Cardiff, much closer than London for you is the Norman Lockyer Observatory. The planetarium there houses a Spitz projector that used to be at Greenwich and the shows, run by local astronomers, are excellent.

Oh Lordy!! Visited London Planetarium in 1976 at the height of a proper summer. Magnificent in memory.

However had to go to Greenwich on busines two years ago and managed a visit to the obsy. If you can try there, it was excellent.

Thanks for all the advice guys, so it seems the new planetarium at Greenich is well worth a trip.

I was searching through some boxes the other day and found a booklet about the old London planetarium which I bought there in the 1970's! Oh happy days with Mr Sparrow (Our science teacher) and the School astronomy club. After the planetarium we would go to the science and natural history museums before the long coach trip back to Bristol.

Archived