Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Messier Album?

rfdesigner

I was looking at another great image posted on the deep sky section and was thinking.. what would be great would be to create a 'Messier Album' from all these great images... it can be quite a task hunting down something you've seen in the imaging deep sky section 3 months ago.

Why bother?.

well it could be a bit of a teaching aid.. showing what is possible with certain kit.

It would be an invaluable reference source... what does M72 look like through an amateur scope?

What did it look like 3 months ago? (is that a supernova?)

It would also show what hasn't been imaged here.

We would have to invoke some quality control, I'd suggest images would have to be on a POW shortlist. I'd also suggest info on scale/orientation/equipment be included for later reference.

There would be nothing to stop us haveing multiple images of any target, indeed this could end up being extremely valuable.

any takers?

Derek

Martin, yes I have already printed this off and it hangs on the obsy wall but what the subject we are on about is when a person places a good DSO image on here, the information he places with it, what gear he used and the setting of camera and suchlike, well that is my take on it :).

Jim

I have my own collection of all 110 Messier object pictures gathered from Wikipedia galleries and all over the web. The pictures are 1920x1280 in size and of the best quality that I could find. I can share that if someone wants to have a look. Note that the archive is 330 MB plus in size (yikes!) but they look great as desktop wallpapers. Here's a few preview pics:

m16c.th.jpgm104r.th.jpgm30v.th.jpg

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I have my own collection of all 110 Messier object pictures gathered from Wikipedia galleries and all over the web. The pictures are 1920x1280 in size and of the best quality that I could find. I can share that if someone wants to have a look. Note that the archive is 330 MB plus in size (yikes!) but they look great as desktop wallpapers. Here's a few preview pics:

m16c.th.jpgm104r.th.jpgm30v.th.jpg

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

That's brilliant. Thanks for posting this :) The images are just sublime from the Wikipedia galleries ! :icon_eek:

Yup SGL only album.. that's the idea.

As several people like it I'll go ahead and suggest it properly. The worst that could happen is that I get a 'no'.

Derek

I think an SGL only album would be a terrific idea. Especially if we can have full details of equipment, exposure etc. It would be great to have an idea of how each image was produced. So much we could learn from each other.

old_eyes

• 1 month later...
Great idea... Let me have a think on how to do this.

Ant

Could you create a new "Imaging > Messier Objects" sub-group with 110 pre-created threads which everyone could add to and then lock the group to new posts?

The downside of this though would be how to limit appreciative comments as I imagine they would far outweigh the number of actual images. :)

Another way perhaps would be to host an SGL image archive where we can upload our pics for a direct link back to the forum. At the moment I use deviantArt to host mine and I know a lot of people use flickr.

Having them all in one place where they could be sorted by categories.. including things like photographer, camera / scope used, image size etc would be great.

well it could be a bit of a teaching aid.. showing what is possible with certain kit.

It would be an invaluable reference source... what does M72 look like through an amateur scope?

What did it look like 3 months ago? (is that a supernova?)

It would also show what hasn't been imaged here.

We would have to invoke some quality control, I'd suggest images would have to be on a POW shortlist. I'd also suggest info on scale/orientation/equipment be included for later reference.

I think to be a valuable teaching aid then any and all images should be welcome but I agree the images should have either artistic merit, scientific use or technical reference. A good image probably covers all three.

Perhaps "suggest" that images posted in the section are ones that highlight the equipment, process and effort gone into it rather than absolute perfection in the results obtained.

Either that or make the entries submission based to a mod who would then re-post the image and relevant technical info into the thread?

Archived