Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Butterfly Nebula in Cygnus

steppenwolf

Having acquired my primary target (the supernova in M51) last night, I realised that there was still plenty of relative darkness left and Cygnus was now nicely place so I took some 5 minute subs. of the Butterfly Nebula (a diffuse nebula near the star Sadr) in Ha to finish off the evening.

butterfly_030611_l.jpg

Yes - Absolutely fantastic detail...! :(

Exactly how do you get such tight focus? I have a Bhatinov mask and then try to use the FWHM window in Artemis capture to fine tune even further, but for some reason, since I've started using a CCD, the stars aren't as tight / round as they were when I used the DSLR :).

I know there's other variables that could be involved (collimation, polar alignment to name but two), but I don't think either of those are really that far out. Also I don't suppose there's any chance you could post an unprocessed sub (just so that I can get an idea of what one looks like that can produce images as detailed as this?). Obviously you have a different camera, but I've been asuming that I'd need 10 or even 15 minute subs with an Ha filter (Atik 314L+), yet this has come from a stack of 5 min subs... (Blimey, this is confusing...!)

Thanks for your comments folks.

Andy, I only use a Bahtinov Mask for focus (best invention ever!) but I am very critical in how I use it and I allow for any change - which there is - when I lock the focus tube. Other factors include the optics, of course, although with narrowband, doublet or triplet is not that important.

Here is a subframe straight out of MaximDL with only a BIAS subtraction applied:-

030611-040butter_andy.jpg

Thanks for that Steve - I think I've learnt two things here:

1. Stick with the Bahtinov mask for focusing and

2. Explore how to use Maxim for capture / framing and alignment / stacking.

I only have Maxim on trial at the moment, but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I may have buy it!

Maxim certainly isn't the only 'kid on the block' but I have to say that apart from an early flutter with Registax when I did DSLR imaging, I have only ever used MaximDL for my own work. It has just so may features (although I really only use it for alignment, capture, calibrations, stacking and preliminary stretch) and seems to just get on with the job solidly.

I hope the single sub is of some use - 15 of them were used in the final image with the transparency conditions deteriorating somewhat towards the end of the session.

Lovely image Steve - don't know how you managed to find time to image M51 and that last night - it was all I could do to get M51 - I finished my run on it at 2am by which time the subs were already beginning to look lighter.

The Butterfly is a beautiful nebula which deserves more attention than it seems to get. I'm working on a widefield round Sadr and would love to go in closer on the Butterfly.

Can't wait to see the colour image.

Regards

John

Can't wait to see the colour image.

I captured some OIII as well but it was pretty grainy with the mushy transparency and daylight just round the corner! This region does respond well to colour though.

Lovely stuff. What an incredible region this is, too.

Bahtinov versus FWHM? I go for FWHM for the final tweak. The B Mask, which is so fast, gives a very slightly different result and maybe out of force of habit I trust the FWHM for the last microns. No science here, just a gut feeling. Steve, when you say you are very critical, what are you looking for? I find my two central 'cat's whiskers' to be slightly offset and try to average their position between the others.

Olly

Cheers Olly

Bahtinov versus FWHM? I go for FWHM for the final tweak
I think I may have been struggling with seeing perhaps when I tried it - With the camera on a 5s loop, a single slight tweak on the fine focus adjuster resulted in some figures within a range(ish). A second tweak resulted in a different range which crossed-over with the first range but after a few loops I could see which way I'd gone and then tweaked again, but after a while I got the feeling I was chasing my tail! I'll give it another whirl next time, but when it's where I think it should be, I'll recheck with the B mask and see where the central line is...

Steve, when you say you are very critical, what are you looking for? I find my two central 'cat's whiskers' to be slightly offset and try to average their position between the others.
As well as the 'cat's whiskers', I also get some small circular 'blobs' of light on each whisker so I check the distance from the edges of these from one another too as this can be easier than determining by eye whether the two acute angles match or not.

I used to use FWHM but found that the numbers jumping around in the seeing could lead to unnecessary extra tweaks and once near the sweet spot you could play a guessing game - rather like looking at several weather forecasts and choosing the 'best' one!

Archived