Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13

Telrad

This was the first M I was able to spot and recognize in my back garden. Although it isn't as clear and detailed as I know it could be in a less polluted area, I could still make out exactly what I was looking at enough to appreciate it and put it into context with everything I have read about it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I love M13 such a fantastic sight in the sky. Ive just moved house and have a lovely dark sky in my back garden so was able to get out there last night and have a crack at getting an image of it. Here is my humble first attempt at it still needs some practice to to get it sharper but as a first attempt I was a happy star gazer :smiley:

M13august.JPG

I am desperate to see this in all its glory. Every time I get the scope out I turn to it but the LP round my way is so bad it just gets washed out against the glow.

Really must get out to a dark sky site soon.

I am desperate to see this in all its glory. Every time I get the scope out I turn to it but the LP round my way is so bad it just gets washed out against the glow.

Well worth it, the bigger the scope the better. I got to see it through Olly's 20" Dob a few nights ago, and despite moonlight, it was mind-blowing. Having said that, under darker skies my little 80mm apo shows a sprinkling of stars in it already. Very nice object indeed.

a dark site will help but don't be afraid to pump the power up with globs. this will reveal more stars and also darken the sky.

Have tried every mag I have (x37.5 up to x300) but nothing really satisfies. At low power it is a fuzzy blur just visoble against the all pervasive orange, and at high power the image is so dim I can only just resolve the stars using averted vision. And this is using 10 inches of aperture. I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

If the background is orange, low-pressure sodium light is probably the culprit. A light-pollution reduction filter can work wonders. Note that you should not use a narrow-band filter, like a UHC.

Michael

Any recommendations on the best (reasonably priced) LP filter out there?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned in another post, M13 fills the FOV of a 12mm Nagler eyepiece ( that's quite a task !) attached to an 8inch F:10 SCT.

My avatar is M13 as photographed with a 500mm F:4 telephoto lens attached to a Nikon D-80. I really should say that the camera is attached to the lens, as the lens itself is a real beast, with which I use a SkyView Pro motorized GEM to track the stars. The original image occupies about 1/4 of the whole FOV of the 500mm optics.

Quartermass's image is very similar to mine, and shows about the same amount of detail and exposure. It is interesting that the colors appear different in each final image. You can distinctly see that triangle of brighter stars jutting out in one direction in each photo! At just the right exposure, you can also see a bar of bright stars aiming almost directly in our direction.

Nice Job !

Clear Skies, Jim S.

Tonight I did what Telrad did , I swung the 110 Megrez over and studied M13 with a 20mm Skywatcher 20mm LER and Celestron Ultima barlow, not exotic but managed to pick out the outside stars in the cluster.

Then after reading this thread and the clouds still playing ball slew it to M92, wow... its quite a nice target :) smaller but it looks brighter.. again a few stars ... Roll on Big dob and clear skies!

Thanks Telrad for the M92 pointer..

Hi Guy you missed a real treat at csp4, sat night was a belter and m13 in me Obsession was glorious,13ethos and 1.6 x barlow.

Mike

Last thing I need is your encouragement... That 15" Obsession and 13mm Ethos has single handed turned my Astronomy hobby upside down :)

It was CSP3 not 4, I'll be at 4 matey .. perhaps Galloway also if I can get an electric hook up.. :(

M13 always delivers, from 80mm up to 8'', it always somehow never fails to please.

My 76mm reflector showed a blurry disc with no detail of stars the other night.

But it's my first (and so far only) DSO and I was seriously impressed at being able to see it at all.

(I was aiming for it, but fighting with my red light pointer, so ended up scrolling around that area of Hercules randomly and just found it!)

Looking forward to having a bigger scope next month.

Archived