Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Scope - Future Project?

johninderby

Solar Scope - Future Project?

Just mulling over an idea for a future Ha solar scope project based on a Telescope Service 102/1100 achromat refractor. The OTA's aperture and focal length would seem to be an ideal match if using a donor PST. The OTA seems to be of decent build quality and has a good focuser, and as the focuser is a bolt on affair it would be easy to shorten the OTA a bit.

TS Planetary Refractor 102/1100mm F/11 - 2" Crayford Dual Speed

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1958_TS-Planetary-Refractor-102-1100mm-F-11---2--Crayford-Dual-Speed.html

And of course I'd only use a Baader ERF

Baader 90mm D-ERF

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3246_Baader-D-ERF-90mm-Energieschutzfilter-fuer-Sonnenbeobachtung.html

I think a Coranado BF15 blocking filer would be a good match

Coranado BF 15 Blocking Filter

http://www.buytelescopes.com/Products/16715-Coronado-Instruments-bf-15-blocking-filter.aspx

The OTA and other bits are available from other suppliers so I'd shop around first before purchasing any of them of course. If I do go ahead with the project I'd have to sell my Lunt 60 Ha B1200 to finance it, but as it's a popular scope it shouldn't be too difficult to sell.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome. :)

John

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John,

With that shopping list you'll end up with one hellava solar scope! The only suggestion I would have about spending your money ;-) would be to go for the 110 D-ERF in its cell; it would give you a clear 100mm - the 90mm only becomes, at the best, in a custom cell, about 85mm (normally 80mm).

On second thought the 110 ERF would be a better idea.

Yes Ha scopes are never cheap :) but I'm thinking along the lines of the old saying 'Spoil the ship for a ha'pworth of tar' and it would still work out as a "low budget" project compared with buying something equivalent from one of the Ha scope manufacturers. :p

John

One thing to remember - the final scope will only be as good as the PST etalon you use. They, unfortunately, are not all the same. Some, as Nick H. and I have found, are a bit better than others. it's one of those that you keep and cherish.

The project is now underway :p

The 102 f/11 OTA has arrived from Lyra Optics. Beautifully made scope with William Optics standard of fit and finish, and I'm very impressed with it. A proper looking refractor I suppose you might say.

A brand new PST has also arrived (TH sale), but I won't be getting my hands on it until my birthday in September, except for a brief test to see that it's OK. At least it gives me until then to save up for the BF15 blocking filter and the ERF and also to build the filter cell. More ££££ :D

Also unfortunately the LUNT 60Ha B1200 wil have to go eventually to help pay for the project. ;)

Really looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

John

• 3 weeks later...

How interesting, thanks for the link.

Looks not only like you are going to save a lot of money (compared to the equivalent) but you will also get some stunning performance.

I can't wait to read a visual report or see some images :)

How interesting, thanks for the link.

Looks not only like you are going to save a lot of money (compared to the equivalent) but you will also get some stunning performance.

I can't wait to read a visual report or see some images :icon_eek:

I can't wait to try out the completed scope :)

Slight change of plans in that I decided to pay for the PST myself so that the project could be completed as soon as possible. Everything has been ordered (thanks to funds raised by selling a load of kit on SGL) and should all be here by the end of the month.

The bits and pieces consist of:

1. Lyra Optics 102mm f/11 Refractor
  2. Coranado PST
  3. Baader 110mm ERF and custom made cell
  4. Borg 7857 helical focuser & Borg adaptors
  5. Coronado BF-15 blocking filter

John

I'm following this with great interest John.

Did you order the BF-15 from Anacortes? Just wondering how much duty and VAT will add to the cost.

I've ordered it from Hands on Optics. The owners, Sherry & Gary, are really nice friendly and knowledgeable people to deal with. Also their shipping costs are fairly reasonable. Think of them as Americas "FLO" and you get the idea. I try and avoid "box shifters" like Anaortes whenever possible. Duties, taxes and handling fees will add over £100.00 to the cost unfortunately. :)

They have one of the filters arriving in their next shipment from Meade so they're reserved it for me and should ship out to me this Wednesday. Apparently the BF-15 is going to be very hard to get hold of this summer so check availability before ordering from anyone.

http://handsonoptics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_72&products_id=1991

BTW Telescope House can special order the BF-15 in for you, but as the filters are in such short supply they are unable to give a delivery date but did estimate it would be a few months at least. :icon_eek:

John

Thanks for the link John. I'm going to need a BF-10 and was going to order from B+H but will check out your guys instead.

With Hands on Optics getting a shipment of Coronado stuff in this Tuesday now should be a good time to order.

John

Nothing wrong with the standard PST 5mm BF, there's no loss of aperture or resolution, just a reduction in field of view. It's like looking at the Moon with a magnification too high to fit the whole diameter in. Having said that, it's nicer to see the whole solar disc in one glance and a larger BF is on my shopping list. :).

• 3 weeks later...

PST 102mm "Kit"

All the various bits and pieces have now arrived for the PST solar scope project. :) So hopefully I'll have the time this weekend to get it all sorted. The main job is shortening the tube, but after that it's mostly just an assembly job.

Photo details:

1. Lyra Optic 102mm f/11 achromat with dual speed crayford
  2. CNC rings and carry handle
  3. Coronado BF-15 blocking filter
  4. Borg helical focuser and various adaptors
  5. PST etalon and tuner
  6. Bolt on focuser flange (to replace screw-on one when tube is shortened)
  7. Baader 110 D-ERF in custom cell and lens cap

John

Everything seemed to get in the way this weekend, what with other jobs and visitors etc. but at least I managed to get the tube shortened and the whole thing assembled this evening. Now if the sun will just co-operate tomorrow. :)

John

Archived