Telly getting sillier...

ollypenrice

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is me, where did they get that picture. It reminds me of the joke:

"Q, What do you get if you cross a Jehovah’s whiteness with an atheist.

A, someone who knocks on your door for no reason at all.

In order to get the message across to a general audience the producers have shot themselves in the foot. By both sexing up and dumbing down the scientific concepts they have diluted the science and subsequently lost its significance. Even now the best series on astronomy / astrphysics / cosmology is still Carl Sagan's Cosmos.

• 4 weeks later...

Back to the opening post on this thread, but if Olly mentions how British TV is becoming sillier, and someone in France is choosing to watch British TV from abroad then French TV must be seriously bad ! :-)

I must check out an epsisode of Plus Belle la Vie ...

Back to the opening post on this thread, but if Olly mentions how British TV is becoming sillier, and someone in France is choosing to watch British TV from abroad then French TV must be seriously bad ! :-)

I must check out an epsisode of Plus Belle la Vie ...

Oh it is! It is incredibly bad!!! For example, there is a nightly chat show built around the cooking of a meal for the guests. The idea is not bad. But the anchorwoman simply flirts with the camera, preparing a new face for each (frequent) change of camera angle. Sometimes she gets it wrong and is caught in mid face-pull a moment too soon and a flash of desperation passes over her eyes.

The whole cast have hairstyles of incredible, plasticky aritficiality. I say to Monique that they all have 'things on their heads.'

In serious political group interview shows the set is a lurid translucent blue plastic backlit and with mirrors. The producer arbitrarily swaps cameras in mid sentence. The new camera (I am not exaggerating) may not be the right way way up. Or they cut to a camera looking at the speaker via a mirror with another guest in soft beside the reflection.

I watched Brian Cox on the computer.

Olly

Bad as it is - British TV is still the best in the world. You should try sitting through an evening of TV in the US or Spain or Middle East - I for one am allways glad to get back to our rubbish - everyone elses is a heck of a lot worse rubbish than ours is lol :)

Whilst British TV is bad, it isn't as bad as anywhere else in Europe (Yes, I guess that means the best). I gotta say from my travels, I genuinely think that French TV is the worst!

Olly I take it that you are going to watch it again just in case you missed something (laughing):)

Hee, there are a few stones still left unturned in my desire to critically disembowel the dinner chat show. For instance there is one guy who is always there. He's good looking with a wry, sharp, satyrical air to which they cut when politicians dissemble. However, I have never, ever, heard him utter a single word. He just LOOKS sharp, witty and satyrical and here we have the essence of modern telly. The look is all. There is no content.

Olly

Karlos, yes, French telly is the worst though I have never seen Lybian. If I were a betting man...

I think one of the main problems with British TV over the last 15 years or so has been the huge expansion in the number of channels (free digital etc). Someone told me that this meant we have 'more choice', to which I replied that in this case 'more choice' means 'lower quality'.

Bring back the good old days of only 3 terrestrial channels :)

I remember watching an Italian football discussion show. There was a pretty lady hosting the chat, who never said a word during the whole programme. Once the camera panned into her face, she did a model-like fake smile, and that was her role done for that episode.

Mind you, there are some rather nice views of ladies on the adverts in Italy though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived