Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mike-ro observatory

Hello ;)

I thought I would put my build into one page rather than 4.

The reasons I had for making somthing like this was for it to small enough not to take up the hole garden but still be able to leave everything setup ready to go.

Also I wanted somthing that I could remove completley if/when we moved in the future so that you wouldn't be able to tell it was there and I can just take it with me and put it in the new place whith most the hard work done.

The last reason was for it to be cheap and simple to make as knowelage and funds were low.

INSTRUCTIONS:

• Go to your local fabricators and get them to build a small pier (£45)
  • I bought the altair astro pier adapter but i'm sure it could be made cheaper.
  • Messure your setup's leagnth, breadth etc and add a few inch and dig a hole to accomadate it. I went for about 1.6ft deep, but left enough room for the turf to back over the concrete. And make sure your forward facing gable will be pointing North.
  • Then buy 4 x 4" Treated fencing posts and build a basic frame to hold them inplace and also allow your threaded rods to hang where they should be OF COURSE CHECKING FOR NORTH REGULARLY.
  • I Ordered some pre-mixed concrete to be delivered to the house via a loadall (cost £70) The driver also took away the big bag of earth and took it to the dump for me.
  • Remove the extra supporting wood from the fence posts and cut them to the right leagnth.
  • Attach the pier and level the plates and when dark put on the mount and peir adapter then twist until polaris is in view and mark the adapter to the leveling plates for drilling and fixing tomorrow.
  • Start building the enclosure....I guess every one would do it differently (better?) But I went for 2"x1" wood which I regret now as it was a pain to make something strong enough, I would recomend 2x2" even. I also used 12mm marine ply.
  • For water proofing I made runners(wood) fixed down to the floor inside the enclosure which before screwing down put glue and good silicon underneath and a bit more around the edges.
  • The door uses two of them twisting locks that catch the frame from the back and the oposite side is just sloted between to edges. I also put a cheap magnetic alarm for security.

That's about it really, I will be putting in some kingspan insulation when I can get some and a couple re-usable crystil dehumidifier things. And probably a few extra tweaks here and there. But everything is in and ready to go and has also been through a strong wind and rain...and a hose test :o

Very pleased with the outcome. Could be a viable option to those who don't have the space/funds or who may be moving house in the near future.

Thanks for readin! :D

Michael.

post-19381-133877603273_thumb.jpg

post-19381-133877603286_thumb.jpg

post-19381-133877603295_thumb.jpg

A very neat solution indeed. Be very careful that the imaging camera doesn't foul on the base plinth when the 'scope is on the west side and you are imaging high in the sky - I had a potential issue with this using a table surrounding my pier.

Looks like an interesting, compact solution- the opposite to my planned 3x3m obsy. I guess it's just a pure imaging set-up and you've no plans to look through the 'scope?

I like the way the concrete plinth base is concealed sub grass level so it can be buried if you leave. Selling a house with a large concrete block in the middle of the lawn could be awkward! I'm designing mine to be unboltable at ground level at least.

Cheers folks!

Yea this will only be for imaging. I plan to get a nice simple dob for visual in the future.

Steve: no worries about the camera hitting the plinth as it actualy hangs over the edge. ;)

Adamski: Mental isn't it?!?!!

Thanks,

Michael

nice build and very interesting concept!

another interesting type of obsy showing whatever the space,budget ect... something can always be built thats practical and that will encourage you out there for those fleeting cloud free moments.

i thought this was an imaging set up only,a big dob will complement it nicely

Thanks BG!

I think this came in around £280, but that included a few tools and things also my lack of joinery knowelage ment a good bit of wood was wasted.

I'm sure if I could do it again, I could make it for around £200 and make it in about a week or even a bit less.

It is such a simple concept but limited knowelage and improvision along the way slowed things down a bit. But someone with the right tools and know-how could easly do this quick and cheaper.

Michael

I'm sure if I could do it again, I could make it for around £200 and make it in about a week or even a bit less.

Excellent - when do you want to start one for me !! ;);):o

Steve: no worries about the camera hitting the plinth as it actualy hangs over the edge. ;)

Excellent - you see to have thought of everything. I have to say that this really is an elegant solution and one I would like to pass on to a friend with your permission? Hope it all works well for you.

Archived