NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An evening with Brian Cox

Johnboy

Hi all,

On Friday my daughter Cheryl and her friends went to a theatre in Manchester to watch 'Uncaged Monkeys'. This is a seminar which is touring the U.K. at the moment with various speakers, one of whom is Brian Cox.

She says the programme was thoroughly enjoyable (although she says some of it went over her head - I know the feeling! :D).

Brian had several spots throughout the evening and talked of many things. There was even a question and answer section where members of the audience could ask him things via 'Twitter'. She says everything was very well and interestingly presented with slides to enhance the experience.

Afterwards she and her friend waited for around twenty minutes in the pouring rain at the stage door hoping to meet Brian. They were lucky because someone had told him that they were waiting and came out to them armed with his brolly. Cheryl says he is just as friendly in 'real life' as he appears on the TV. He signed my DVD of 'Wonders Of The Solar System. (Although he wrote 'To Cheryl' on it!)

For all of us who like piccies here is one of the three of them together.

Hope you have enjoyed reading this.

Best wishes

John

post-13939-133877601415_thumb.jpg

yeah he was at newcastle city hall either last night or the night before.....and nobody told me :p

nice of him to come outside to see them though :D

I saw the show at Birmingham and it was honestly the best, most inspiring thing I have ever seen. The whole show was the perfect blend of comedy and fact, but Brian's piece stole the show. He talked about the LHC (hinting that they have indeed found the Higgs particle!), the speed of light and relativity. The way he explained it I understood reasonable amounts of it! The show we saw was the day after the results of Gravity Probe-B were announced, which he explained.

The highlight was right at the end though, when they played the quote from Carl Sagan about the "Pale Blue Dot", with the photo itself on the screen behind. It made us all feel so small, yet so lucky and grateful at the same time. Very humbling indeed.

Less good was the 40 minute wait to get out of the carpark...

Saw Uncaged Monkeys last night in Cardiff. I thought it was a really good show if a little too fast paced, but really enjoyed the presentation by Ben Goodacre and I thought that Simon Singh was really excellent - to be honest, I could have listened to those two alone all night. The show is obviously very concious that Prof Cox is the main draw and made a real effort to spread the attention between all the presenters. To be honest, my 12 year old was a bit lost, my 14 year old lapped it up and my missus is still buzzing with the memory of it all.

To be honest, if you've taken an interest in uncaged monkeys on the radio and read some of the books and blogs there won't be much that is new information for you, but seeing them all in the flesh does have a special feeling.

In summary, an excellent show that just gives you a taster and whets your appetite for more - well worth it

The highlight was right at the end though, when they played the quote from Carl Sagan about the "Pale Blue Dot", with the photo itself on the screen behind. It made us all feel so small, yet so lucky and grateful at the same time. Very humbling indeed.

Tom - I was at Birmingham as well

Didn't it just make you feel small.

Brilliant show !!

John - nice of the prof to come out for pics - fair play :D:cool:

seems like a decent knowledgable guy, his TV series was a hit.

i know its not decent but sir P.Moore wont be proactive in the telly world as much, wonder if B.cox will carry on for him for S@N, and i mean this in the best way and no ill intent towards Patric.

Brian does have the right personality for TV so i dont think he would be stepping on toes if he was asked to join the program (not that there is anything wrong with the personalities of the chaps already on S@N.

wow, that was hard to write without offending or meaning to, back to my rock i go

I manned the Cardiff astronomy stand at the Cardiff event last night it was packed out. i know i spoke to a few of you and i am glad you enjoyed the event.

I never got in to see the show though, what time did it finish as it was running very late at the interval.

Grahame

wow, that was hard to write without offending or meaning to, back to my rock i go

I understand and agree entirely, he would be perfect. I don't think it will happen though, he is involved in a number of other projects so I doubt he has the time.

Brian Cox has come under criticism for his globe-trotting and glamorous mountain-top helicopter shots but I for one would like to see more. If that is what it takes to distract viewers from the usual celebrity drivel then so-be-it!

.... any room under that rock for me :D

He has Peter but it was hard work and I am not sure I would want to go through that again! The tidal wave of new astronomers generated from his Stargazing Live series did overwhelm us :D

Interrestingly his two Wonders series with their sexy computer animations and exotic locations did not have the same affect, or at least not as much. Personally I thought they were excellent and bought both DVD sets and accompanying books. I hope to meet him someday.

Steve

I understand and agree entirely, he would be perfect. I don't think it will happen though, he is involved in a number of other projects so I doubt he has the time.

Brian Cox has come under criticism for his globe-trotting and glamorous mountain-top helicopter shots but I for one would like to see more. If that is what it takes to distract viewers from the usual celebrity drivel then so-be-it!

.... any room under that rock for me :D

I think he said as much himself in some of the out-takes from the series

• 8 months later...
Hi all,

On Friday my daughter Cheryl and her friends went to a theatre in Manchester to watch 'Uncaged Monkeys'. This is a seminar which is touring the U.K. at the moment with various speakers, one of whom is Brian Cox.

She says the programme was thoroughly enjoyable (although she says some of it went over her head - I know the feeling! :D).

Brian had several spots throughout the evening and talked of many things. There was even a question and answer section where members of the audience could ask him things via 'Twitter'. She says everything was very well and interestingly presented with slides to enhance the experience.

Afterwards she and her friend waited for around twenty minutes in the pouring rain at the stage door hoping to meet Brian. They were lucky because someone had told him that they were waiting and came out to them armed with his brolly. Cheryl says he is just as friendly in 'real life' as he appears on the TV. He signed my DVD of 'Wonders Of The Solar System. (Although he wrote 'To Cheryl' on it!)

For all of us who like piccies here is one of the three of them together.

Hope you have enjoyed reading this.

Best wishes

John

Lovely pic there, showed us what a great man Brian Cox is

Archived