Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

so angry!!

M3 Andy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame about Bristol Camera's as its not far from me and it would have been nice to have a supplier on my doorstep. However, each time I've recently visited for something straightforward, they never had it in the shop, always had to order it in. Make's you wonder why they bother to have a shop at all. I've noticed that the shop window which used to be packed with scopes etc is now half empty and I'm sure there are going to be many retailers who will not want to carry too much stock on their shelves if they are finding trading a bit slack. However, this action becomes a self fulfilling prophecy because if it looks like there isn't much in the shop, customer confidence will prompt the shopper to find other venues. Mind you it's not just astro shops, I went into PC World and thought the shop was having a refit as it was half empty.

James

Point of interest Andy, I just finished up with one of those as well, I'll write up a thread about it, you will see why it makes sense to stick with people like FLO.

Expecting mine to arrive on Friday.

Alan

I tend to use FLO, RVO, Modern Astronomy... If it's a "major" item. But I do now phone to check stocks. ;)

Astro-dealership seem to be somewhat prey to the vagueries of supply? <G> Despite being somewhat "telephone-phobic" (Quite a common problem!) they're (ALL) "good lads" ... and may even remember me! [teasing] Choice of vendor is somewhat arbitrary here (I try to be democratic, re. the redistribution of wealth! LOL) but service is generally good - Occasionally quite exemplary... :)

Having only recently joined this Forum I decided that FLO was the place for my wife to order my birthday present - a Skywatcher Explorer 130P AZ GOTO - as I wanted to make sure it arrived . Ordered 17th April - not arrived yet!! Answerphone now constantly on and no reply (as yet) to Tuesday's email. The eyepiece kit I ordered myself arrived next day so I do at least have something to play with!!

Most peoples first post is in the welcome section :)

Our system shows your telescope was ordered Sunday 17th and dispatched Monday 18th. You should have recieved it Tuesday 19th via Fedex. I'll investigate then contact you later today.

You are correct about our recent lack of communication, it is an embarrassing situation that we are working very hard to solve. Details HERE.

Apologies for the delay and inconvenience.

Steve

My first post would have been in the welcome section but I thought I should wait until I had my first scope so that I had something to say! I understand that OVL have no stocks but didn't tell you so I am sorry that their lack of communication led me to question FLO's service. Perhaps Bristol Cameras have been let down in the same way?

Unfortunately the usual communications between ourselves and Skywatcher's importers have not been as efficient as they should while we both struggle to obtain stock and respond to enquirys. They are not solely responsible for this situation and I don't want to be one of those dealers who passes the buck or hides behind their coat tails. These are exceptional times, all of us in astro retail are similarly affected and all are feeling a bit shell shocked. And it isn't over yet! We heard this morning that Skyliner 250px and Evostar 80ED DS PRO are now unavailable until end of month :)

Have only used FLO for "odds&ends", filters, cables etc and can't fault the services very quick.

As for scopes, when i went to but my SW200P dob i could'ent get it anywhere, all waiting for a ship to arrive!, then seen some on Amazon (via a shop) said had some in stock so placed an order and sure enough a week later a big parcel comes to work and hey presto a scope!

But it was the "flextube" not the "solid tube" i ordered, but i don't mind as i looked at the flextube as i wanted to save space but the extra pounds put me off...result.

This was back in Oct/November 2010

Some years ago I had exactly the same problem when I was after a SW 127 Mak OTA.

Ordered 1 and after a week it transpired they didnt have em in stock and couldnt get hold of any from OVL. Cancelled the order and tried around various dealers with no luck. OVL just hadnt got any so neither had the dealers

Seems to me demand is high every so often and OVL just run out.

Eventually I got an Orion Apex 127 next day from an astro dealer who had 2 on their shelves. Same animal just a different colour and slightly more pricey but it came with a posh soft carry case. So I was happy in the end.

Philj

Andy, not sure if you will be looking at the stars this weekend - have you seen the weather reports?

Two newbies buying their first scopes, weather will be cack, its practically a law, so I've heard.

Meanwhile, I'm tracking my telescope on the fedex site. :)

Andy, not sure if you will be looking at the stars this weekend - have you seen the weather reports?

Two newbies buying their first scopes, weather will be cack, its practically a law, so I've heard.

Meanwhile, I'm tracking my telescope on the fedex site. :)

Haha. There's always something that will go wrong. I'm tracking mine too lol. Let me know how you get on with yours mate.

Actually, there's a point, speaking about tracking.

I know Meade ETX mounts need to be trained and calibrated every now and then, is the same true of these Maks?

@Andy, will do mate, I'm in the process of writing up my complete hardware plan for my site, but ill be posting bits and pieces here as well.

Alan

Unfortunately the usual communications between ourselves and Skywatcher's importers have not been as efficient as they should while we both struggle to obtain stock and respond to enquirys. They are not solely responsible for this situation and I don't want to be one of those dealers who passes the buck or hides behind their coat tails. These are exceptional times, all of us in astro retail are similarly affected and all are feeling a bit shell shocked. And it isn't over yet! We heard this morning that Skyliner 250px and Evostar 80ED DS PRO are now unavailable until end of month :)

Ouch

Is that why my Evostar 80ED DS PRO outfit and Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO Synscan didn`t arrive today?

Would just be my luck.

Or did I manage to get one of the last ones *hope*

Regards

Andy

Got the same problem with the same scope from F1 telescopes. Placed the order 2 weeks ago, phoned up to find when it would be delivered and was told it was out of stock.

How do I stand/do if they charge my credit card before I recieve the scope?

Archived