Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Obsy help and plans

swag72

You have three options for parking a scope via the synscan handset. The default HOME position as Gina described, CUSTOM and CURRENT POSITION. I've been playing about with trying to make my park position with the scope horizontal but for the life of me can't see how to save the custom position. - More practice I think !

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does the mount HAVE to be left in the park position? I ask as this will give me extra height issues if so.

No.. but it make it easy at each obs session because you dont have to go through the alignment process every time

You have three options for parking a scope via the synscan handset. The default HOME position as Gina described, CUSTOM and CURRENT POSITION. I've been playing about with trying to make my park position with the scope horizontal but for the life of me can't see how to save the custom position. - More practice I think !

Mmm, more reading for me then, I didn't even know that was possible!!! Damn!!

Back in the 80's I built a 3m x 3m x 1.5m high breezeblock observatory with a 1.2m high wooden framed/ marine ply octodome ( wide 1.2m slit) worked very well with a 12" f5.....

Later for a bigger 18" I had a 6m x 3m x 1.5m high wooden framed A/C sheeting walls with a 1.2mm high sliding roof (two sections) this allowed almost full sky coverage and plenty of room.

Both easy to construct with "normal" hand tools.

I always park the mount, switch everything off and then unlock the RA clutch and swing the scope until I can get the roof closed. Then swing the scope back and lock the clutch. I align on the zero mark on the RA setting circle (So THAT's what you can use it for!!). Same proceedure, but in reverse, to open the roof.

As I always do a two or three star alignment (takes less than a minute and I always align to stars around my intended target) no problems.

I'm not sure on this but I think you can define a park or home position which can be whatever you like. I think I have heard people before having their scopes parked as you would like but don't quote me on that.

If you aim to control it, i believe its an eq5, using a computer and Eqmod then eqmod has a number of user defined park positions. I have the normal park position and then one configured with the telescope horizontal to get the roof on and off.

Must admit, I thought there was only one Park position and if you released the locks and moved the mount with the power off you'd lose your carefully set up alignment - well that's what the instructions say!

I too would like to have the scope horizontal and as low as possible as I'm now thinking of a small removable cover rather than a full size obs. I need to keep the cost down.

If it isn't raining I'll pop out and power up and check the handset menu settings more thoroughly. I think it needs all the menu and sub-menu options written down for future reference. I imagine someone has done this and published it somewhere.

If your Synta EQ mount is observatory based you really should consider using EQMOD rather than the handset. The 10 definable park positions (and 10 unpark positions) - extensive limit protection (horizon and meridian), automatic parking on limit, PEC, and automatically saved/loaded N-point alignment models are all features ideally suited to an observatory based EQ mount.

Chris.

I am looking now at 1.8m x 2.1m, with an additional small bay area for storage, lappy etc. The walls will be approx 1.5m high and a rool off wooden roof. The base of the obsy will be approx 6 inches of concrete with steel mesh to spread weight etc and the pier will be directly bolted into that. I need to find out how high the adaptor will be, but all in all I am looking at approx 1.40m to the top of the scope on the mount. It will have to be stored in a horizontal position.

Is there anything else I've missed?

Believe me when I say this - I am no expert, but at 1.8 x 2.1 it looks a little tight? I appreciate you might be constrained by what space you have available in which case I will bow my head and zip it, lol.

I am currently designing a generic obsy based on a 2.2 dome, the idea being that you can either build the dome housing or extend it to include a warm room, or build it in phases.

1.8 x 2.1 is the only space I have unfortunately! That is the size of my flat roof, excluding the small bay area that will be for storage. I measured the scope and camera at full extended focus at the maximum horizontal length and that came to 1.3m - Enough space to walk around and rarely will the scope be imaging at total horizontal angle I suppose.

Returning to the subject of building materials, would a lightweight block such as thermalite or celcon be suitable? I'm no expert but I don't think they would hold the heat the same as concrete blocks or brick would. They would need to be rendered or clad though.

That could be a possibility but I don't know how they would cope in direct sunlight / excessive heat I.e. They may expand and contract excessively in hotter climates. We normally use lightweight blocks internally so they are not normally exposed in this way.

EDIT

Just looked at H&H and a thermalite block can indeed be used externally.

Archived