Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Obsy help and plans

swag72

I have searched far and wide on the internet for some ideas on an obsy, including that site where everyone has a pic of theirs (can't remember the name right now). I think I have at least made the decision that I can't really have a ROR type, as with my 2x2 metre space, that would limit the size quite considerably, effectively half it with the ror roof frame.

I want some type of low height (perhaps about 5 foot tops) with flip down sides and a simple pull off roof. The other option is a roll off shed type affair, but I can't help thinking that in the position I am looking it, wind may be an issue with that. I am looking at a wood build, if I can find external ply out here.

So, I guess some kind of positives or negatives on my ideas would be good. Am I making the right sort of choice? I would like to store my stuff in it as well, hence why the more portable roll off shed option has lost favour.

The other alternative is to get my local builder to make somekind of build, I really do like that idea, but it would of course involve bricks and cement - All great heat storers in the full spanish sun. Of course, if you suggest that brick build is good, then I can rethink that idea too!!

Thanks for reading this and taking the time to put in your 2p worth. This is such at the planning stage that I don't want to make big mistakes that will lead me in the wrong direction.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking of fold down tops to the sides and perhaps a fold over roof but not worked out the details yet. When I do I'll certainly post them here. There's a lot of thinking required! I'm thinking wood but we'll see. I don't really want to spend too much - I'd rather spend it on equipment, but it has to be wind proof and watertight when closed. And, as it's an open site on the side of a hill, withstand strong winds.

Still working on the pier and its foundations ATM. Half dug the hole :)

Have you considered a dome? It takes the least space and, whilst a little more trouble to build, has many advantages.
My first thoughts for my obs were for a dome but it seems very complicated to make and extremely expensive to buy. A dome would be great.

While I think a dome would be a nice thing to have, cost of a prebuild is prohibitive and the skill level of the builders will be equally prohibitive!!

Any one any thoughts on a part brick build? Perhaps the first x number of cm's that the wooden fold down structure can then sit on?

Mmm, I quite like that.

But you can only see out the small hole in the roof? The reason I am looking at fold down is that I have pretty good views all round and beleive that by only looking up out of a roof I will be wasting these. Perhaps though in my naivety this wouldn't be the case? If you look at the pics of where I am looking at putting the obsy in this thread, it gives you an idea of the sky I can see. If I have only a roof to remove, I feel I am losing a lot of this sky.

That's what hubby would like!! But I want to be able to leave the scope on as well and all the other bits.

As it stands at the minute my tripod and mount are up and aligned and have been up for months, so I only have to add the scope etc. If I go down that road, I'm no better off than I am now to be honest. I would like to be able to go out and have to do a minimal setup really.

I did think about that Gina as I have a reasonably flat view to the east, you could make the revolving part three quaters of the way up and have a short door, then have the viewing slot extend down more.

Hmm, just been thnking about combining that with psychobilly's suggestion....

All this is great food for thought. :eek: Like Sara, I have great views and can see nearly horizontally over a wide angle. The octagonal "dome" looks a great idea if you're only concerned with seeing at a fairly high angle. I guess the idea could be modified to make the fixed/rotating section split lower down (as I think was mentioned). Getting more complicated though.

My ideas are tending towards 4ft high fence panels for the walls and some sort of roof that opens up. Probably in sections so that I can block off the wind if it's coming from a direction I'm not looking in. I'm thinking it might be a very peculiar looking shed! :)

I also don't like buildings I can't see out of easily - I have slight claustrophobia.

It's great to talk isn't it?!!

Any thoughts on a partial brick build? My dad who will be in charge of construction is doing some internet searching too!!

I have thought of using breeze blocks to go part of the way up. Actually, thinking about it, I don't think fence panels would be very weatherproof. At least not in a howling gale with torrential rain as has been known in these parts a number of times in the past.

EDIT Crossed posts with Peter. I did think of uPVC shiplap cladding on a wooden framework. Very durable but getting expensive.

I hope that someone has some comments about a partial block build - I can't help wondering though, whether in hot weather, the heat radiating from the blocks would affect the air movement.

I have a lot of hot weather!! I like your build Peter, very cool looking, really does look the biz.

UPVC over woden frame is what i used.. you can now get double walled triple panel stuff which works out a lot cheaper... even in brilliant sunshine the inside tends to stay within a few degrees of the outside temp.. When I run a dehumifdifier in there now that keeps it about 6-8C higher than ambient and at 60% RH +/- 5%

Do you think that it will affect the air movement? I read somewhere that observing around a lot of concrete can cause problems as the heat radiates off it for some time. This is my concern.
Same would apply with bricks. Any masonry will hold the heat for a while - that's how night storage heaters work. In fact any material will hold heat to some extent.

But wood and metal will cool down and release their heat quicker. I don't want to find that I can't do much imaging until really late because I have to wait for the bricks / blocks / concrete / mortar to cool down.

Has anyone got any kind of brick build?

Also, perhaps I need to say at this point that I'm not good at observing - Hurts my closed eye!! So this will be an imaging obsy.

Archived