NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ngc281 Pacman Neb in HST

ChrisLX200

A first pass at this and something of a WIP, but I still wanted to post something for the last couple of nights efforts :-)  Lacking in SII data mainly, and the SII data I did collect last night was fairly poor due to mist and unstable atmospherics. Probably have to re-do the lot next time out.

10 x 1800s Ha, 7 x 1800 OIII, 4 x 1800 SII.

HST%20image_zpsebbqdivw.png

ChrisH

As a beginner, I'd be interested to know how many hours of effort go into creating a picture as impressive as that, including setting up, taking the photos, and the post processing (and not meaning to discount the years of experience that you probably need on top of this of course). It's a superb looking picture. Thanks for sharing it.

As a beginner, I'd be interested to know how many hours of effort go into creating a picture as impressive as that, including setting up, taking the photos, and the post processing (and not meaning to discount the years of experience that you probably need on top of this of course). It's a superb looking picture. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks Paul, I've been at this astro imaging lark about 20months now, but prior to than I was into visual astronomy for years and did dabble in photography. I've reduced the setup time down to about 5 minutes now :-) All I have to do is put the OTA+camera onto the mount (which stays outside under cover), run 3 cables outside and then hit the power button. Post processing takes about 1-2 hours I guess.

ChrisH

Looking great. Lovely depth to the centre of the nebula. Hasn't it been great to have a few dark clear (ish) nights just recently!

It's been good to get out for sure, but the skies around here have been fairly poor - mostly misty. Can't complain though - better than thick cloud! :-)

ChrisH

Thanks again for the comments!

Last night was clear and dark with good transparency (well, after 11pm it was anyway). Added 6 hours of new data to this so the total now is:

10 x 1800s Ha, 12 x 1800s OIII, 10 x 1800s SII.  16hrs integration all together.

ngc281%20Pacman%20HST_zpsxkrkstak.png

ChrisH

Archived