Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Triton

Demonperformer

Triton, taken last night.

200mm SCT + 0.5x reducer/flattener [on Alt-az mount!], SXV-H9 camera, 32/150 20-second subs used, bias but no darks/flats.

Orientation [for those who need it]:

The bright star on the left of the picture is 7th magnitude HD 214686. Neptune is the next brightest object (just left of centre). Triton (mag 13.5) is the small dot very close (~16.4") to Neptune at the "four o'clock position".

The faintest star visible (I think) is UCAC4-404-132392 (mag 14.91) immediately above the two very close stars at the bottom of the photo.

Thanks for looking.

post-4846-0-77113000-1441706321.jpg

I can just about see Triton visually with my 12" dob but it needs 400x or more and a touch of averted vision !

That is quite impressive. 400* magnification at 25 degrees altitude ... I would think that requires pretty good skies.

With a combination of worsening eyesight, horrible light pollution, and not really being set up for visual observing any more (as a consequence of those two things), I could barely see Neptune through the eyepiece last night, let alone Triton. Still, the camera compensates nicely for my problems ...

Thanks, guys.

With clear skies promised tonight, I am hoping to get out and get a "follow-up" picture 72 hours later, which will hopefully show Triton having moved half-way round the planet -a and it will still just be in the same frame. If that doesn't guarantee the promised clear skies diverting around me, nothing will!

It's clear and the breeze is practically non-existent. Neptune is sitting nicely in the eyepiece ... but so is the light surrounding one of my local streetlights. I reckon it will take about another 30 mins before it is far enough away to start imaging.  Plenty of time for the clouds to roll in and some gale-force winds to brew up!

Thats a terrific follow up picture :smiley:

I was surprised to find out how quickly Triton moves around Neptune.

With regards to viewing it, I've found that Neptune takes really high power surprisingly well, despite it's low altitude.

Archived