SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A find of a lifetime... Now what?

I found the below telescope and mount in a forgotten basement.
I would like to know what exactly I do have.
Some history about me is I am the DIY guy that spends $5000 to have the pride in building a $5 part. I built my Doband grounded(while crying)my own mirror on said Dob.
Any and all help is appreciated if the pictures supplied are not enough I have many more upon request.

Goals are to get it running as it did in its prime then to automate using Arduino.
One 8f6 primary was amongst the boxes and also looking for someone that maybe able to refinish this mirror and my Dobs 6f8 primary.
Thank you all in advance....

post-46082-0-53174700-1437858389_thumb.j

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks like somone else has made the whole lot as a DIY build and project.

One hell of a mount.

It all looks a DIY homemade setup.

They beat you to it, it would seem. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hello RevHand. Welcome to this forum. I've been in the astronomy game for over 60 years but the telescope you show doesn't conform to any of the mainstream manufacturers that I'm familiar with. I suspect that it is a home made instrument dating from the "golden age" of amateur telescope making in the 1950's-60's.   :smiley:

It has an impressive number of castings in it and some nicely thought out details. Could you post some more pictures?

Are there any markings on anything? Maybe on the back of the mirror

Richard

The history I have on this goliath is that it is one of triplets that were made for a masters project at Dartmoth Cllege in the 60s. 1 of the triplets suffered a tragic ending while the other resides comfortably at a well kff recluse in CA,USA.

The detail to this machine is extraordinary. In a recent trst the 2 motors supplied still seem to work as plated (old addage...build them like the use to).

Regarding pictures with detail I need to reduce the physical size of said pix to post.

Again thank you all for your polite and expediant replies.

Is there a repository feature so I may just stockpile my pix for I am new to forums? In either case I will oblige soon with better pix.

It looks like a real monster :)

I assume that at one point there must have been a lower section to the mount providing alt/az adjustment.

James

I don't think so. The top is a proper EQ mount. The base seem to have an axis running through it which I imagine is for fine tuning the polar alignment

Richard

I don't think so. The top is a proper EQ mount. The base seem to have an axis running through it which I imagine is for fine tuning the polar alignment

Richard

Ah, now I look at it again it appears that the section on which it is standing forms a post through which those three bolts pass, via the arc-shaped slots, to act as a clamp.  That would presumably give the alt adjustment (for polar alignment, as you say).  I can't see how az adjustment (again for polar alignment) would be done in that case though.  It looks like the entire thing ought to rotate on some other base that isn't present.

James

Looks in need of a good home ... if you can arrange delivery, I'm sure I could find space ;-)

Seriously that's well engineered. I don't see how the N/S fine alignment would be done - but it's obviously meant to be set up once in an observatory and left in place.

If the mirror is as good as the mount you've found a good 'un.

My guess is that its meant to be semi-permanently mounted, so the base is just fixed down at the correct alignment for north. The top is then tilted to match the local latitude.

Just like my basic EQ tripod that has alt adjustment, but you physically turn the whole tripod to north align.

To answer the question of extraction of the jewel...it was in a museum like basement full of other heavy random items. Took almost 2 hours to get it to see "first light" of day again.

She is not optically ready. Inly a primary mirror was recovered which I attached a pic of the back sticker showing specs. If anyone can comment on the primary much would be obliged.

The other pic is a better look at the brass gearing.

post-46082-0-87877600-1438131485.jpg

post-46082-0-47616300-1438131789_thumb.j

Here is a pic of back of primary and another clise up of the "planetary gearing".

Even though I pride myself in being somewhat up to date with technology I seem to be on a learning curve to navigating this forum so I apologize for all the bad posturing I may be making you all suffer through while communicating to you all.post-46082-0-16232000-1438304481_thumb.jpost-46082-0-26769700-1438304537.jpg

Again I apologize for double posting for i am using my cellphone as my interface. What clues can be discerned on the mirror?

Also how is the best way to verify that all moving parts work?

I have tested both motors to the plaque specs (i.e.21 rpm) and both motors ran fluidly. For an hour. No crazy thermal issues.

Next is how the hell do I

balance this beast....properly?

Archived