Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn through undriven, handguided dob

cathalferris

Here's my attempt at imaging Saturn with a DSL attached to an undriven Dob..

saturn_mar22_done_small.png

305mm F4.9 Skywatcher Flextube dob, using a TV 2x 1.25" barlow for focal length of approx 3000mm

Canon 600d, in 3x movie crop mode. 1600 ISO, 1/31 sec exposure, 24 seconds of video at 29.97 fps

Handguided (nudging back to centre when near the edge).

WinFF for .MOV to raw .avi conversion; AS!2 for stacking; Registax6 for colour align and light wavelets processing.

Night of March 21-22, some dewing on the secondary, and a fair bit of fog and mist drifting about. Seeing was reasonable, but definitely not good. Not too bad for a planet at ~15 degrees altitude on an undriven mount!

I may have had enough dew to scatter light away dimming things more than I expected.

I tried other iso values and exposures, this was the best of about 10 clips. The histogram was about 40 percent used on the clip used for this one, lower iso values were just too dark to stack well.

Typed on a handheld screen.

Archived