Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen 2.1 x 42

D4N

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

...We have also ordered eyecups to add to our existing stock and will have a handful left over so if you have purchased a SG 2.1x42 binocular from us and would like a free complimentary pair of eyecups please email us with your name and order number. 

I am just checking - is anyone still waiting for eyecups? 

I ask because they aren't listed at our website so so not are handled by the inventory system. Instead I have been keeping a traditional pen and paper list and am concerned I might have forgotten someone  :blush:

Steve 

I am just checking - is anyone still waiting for eyecups? 

I ask because they aren't listed at our website so so not are handled by the inventory system. Instead I have been keeping a traditional pen and paper list and am concerned I might have forgotten someone  :blush:

Steve 

Steve I had an interesting conversation with the staff on the Vixen stand at Astrofest and told them about my experience using these wonderful binoculars. They gave me a free pair of the rubber eyecups which I used very successfully on Monday night in freezing weather.

Made this product even better.

I received my eyecups from FLO - great service as usual. I do seem to be in a minority of one though in being a tad disappointed with these binoculars. I still get the impression when using them of a 'halo' of lighter sky around the periphery of the view. I had expected a uniform enhanced view of the sky with an increase in visible stars and I do get this but only in the central area of the view. I was thinking that it would be a more 'immersive' experience but this is spoiled by this slight 'tunnel' effect of the perimeter halo. I am perhaps not describing it well, but to me it is very obvious. I thought that I would try the eyecups to see if they improved things but I don't see any real difference.

My theory is that it is related to light pollution. I have only used them in my garden which suffers from some LP which is not severe but my skies cannot be described as dark. Perhaps there is some internal light scatter? I have swapped emails with Steve at FLO and we have agreed to compare notes at SGLX where I hope we get some dark skies and I will be able to try his binoculars to compare.

I certainly don't want to give up on them until I have tried them in better conditions and I doubt that they are faulty. Perhaps it's my peculiar eyes?

Kerry, I have noticed this effect with mine, but like you my 'home skies' are fairly light-polluted so I have always attributed it to that, rather than a failing in the Vixens. Could be wrong tho as I've not had a chance to get to a really dark site.

What I've not understood is why photos through the ocular (of a lined and numbered page, on CN iirc) didn't show the 'distortions' - not great on technical terms, sorry - but show sharpness across the fov that I don't see (outside of the central area)?

Thanks for the comments. I look forward to comparing notes next month. Meanwhile, I am going to a concert on Sunday and will try them in 'opera glasses mode'!

Not sure about opera - good idea, I'll try them for my next Puccini - but the Vixens are a *great* cloudscape companion :)

Kerry, I'm sure there are those with more expertise than I, especially on Galilean/opera-glass optics (and, with any luck, someone who knows will jump in). However, my take on it is this: I don't recall any low-mag, large FoV (i.e. large objectives) Galilean configuration glasses where this has not been apparent. I have assumed (without really thinking about it) that the halo corresponds to the field stop in Keplerian (i.e. "normal") glasses. As I say, I don't know if it is the correct explanation (as much as it is an explanation), but it corresponds with the Galilean equivalent of the "exit pupil" being between the lenses and with the phenomenon that the halo appears to grow, with the clear area shrinking until it is approximately the size of aperture/magnification as you hold the glasses at arms' length.

I suppose it might possibly be stray light due to a lack of lens-edge blackening (I've not checked), but I'm struggling to see how that could account for the arms' length phenomenon.

I don't notice it under a dark sky, but it is reasonably obtrusive in daylight.

Sorry, not really an explanation, is it? :laugh:

My apologies if this has been posted earlier, but Matthew's very thorough review covers many of these issues I think. It seems the best observing style is to fix your eyes straight ahead and move your head with the binos. That way distortions are lost to peripheral vision but you remain immersed in the view.....

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2014/10/25/vixen-sg-2-1x42-binoculars-review/

Well worth a read if you haven't already

Stu

Thanks Steve and Stu.

That Alpha-Lyrae review is great & was very helpful when I got my Vixens, can't remember now but it may have been instrumental in my buying them :)

I do try to keep my focus only on the centre of the fov (simple trick but hard to stick to! Getting better at it! )

I think more and more the effect is down to skies, not a fault in the Vixens. I tried them briefly in slightly darker skies than my home, over xmas. I don't recall this happening then, nor I think is it always as noticeable every night...nor have I noticed it in daylight. Go figure :)

There is a knack with these.  The inner 2/3rds of the field of view is where its mostly happening, whilst noting the peripheral 1/3rd as impressionistic.  The other night I was having a lovely time looking at the shoulders of orion, the belt & the feet within this 2/3rds sweet spot.  They are exceptional at what they do, no doubt. 

There is a knack with these.  The inner 2/3rds of the field of view is where its mostly happening, whilst noting the peripheral 1/3rd as impressionistic.  The other night I was having a lovely time looking at the shoulders of orion, the belt & the feet within this 2/3rds sweet spot.  They are exceptional at what they do, no doubt.

Absolutely agree. I have not at all regretted buying or owning these cute lil frogeyes... :)

Just been having a quick look with them at Orion and Auriga, which was delightful but hidden within seconds by more hazy cloud rolling in like a tide.

This is all interesting. It seems  that there is an inherent characteristic of the 2.1s whereby the optimum view is in the centre and this changes toward the edges. Some people seem to notice this more than others and I do think this is because of different viewing circumstances, particularly with varying amounts of light pollution. 

Despite having read all the reviews before I bought them, I wasn't expecting this. I think that it is firstly a matter of getting used to this and accepting that the view is what it is and use them accordingly, and secondly to try them under different conditions.

I"m certainly looking forward to seeing how Sir Simon and the Berlin Phil look through them on Sunday - but he has a bit of a halo already!  :smiley:

Just a thought - assuming that's you in your avatar ( a hint of the Jack Duckworths? Mine has a touch of the Vulcans, lol :) ), do you use them with glasses Kerry? I found the view much less immersive and pleasing using specs. The focusing travel only just accommodates my sight without specs so I'm looking forward to renewing my contact lens use...

Rattle and the BP? Lovely! Hope it's a great evening. Any particular highlights/works?

Steve

Steve

As a matter of fact I have just gone for contact lenses after 50 years of glasses and I've  commented a bit on them elsewhere on SGL. I have always found it impossible to use glasses with either binoculars or a telescope and as I have astigmatism I have thought that I must be missing out somewhere. It's early days with the contacts as I have only had them for a couple of weeks. I think the overall views are sharper but, as you know, conditions can vary so much that comparisons can be difficult. When using the mount it is certainly easier not having to take glasses on and off to read the handset and then observe.

Two other brief tests; I was watching a shadow transit on Jupiter with the contacts and then took them out. With the contacts certainly seemed sharper but I did wonder if the seeing might have deteriorated while I took them out.

I also tried the ISS with my Canon bins and could see more idea of a shape whereas before it was usually mainly a bright blur.

I have only briefly tried the Vixens with the contacts and could not tell any real difference but all these tests need to be done a few more times before I can really assess any improvement.

Jack Duckworth? Not sure about that! But at least my specs are not held together with sticking plaster :smiley:

Sunday night is Mahler's 2nd  - my all time favourite piece of music. To say that I am looking forward to it is a real understatement

Kerry 

Thanks Kerry - I am certainly looking forward to having contacts again, when funds permit. All that faffing around putting specs on to find ep's etc then whipping them off to observe, then hunting around for where I'd put them (why I never invested in a neck cord I dunno).....I'm hoping also that lenses will help with focus range with bins.

Mahler is superb; Sibelius is my first love. I will listen to the 2nd....I *love* Mahler's 1st. Enjoy the concert!

Jack was purely speculative (ouch) lol... :) And I *did* used to have glasses held together with tape!

I'll be interested to read your findings after you've taken your Vixens to the dark site :)

Cheers

Steve

Steve - just looked at your profile and we certainly have some music likes in common! Neil Young and Bruckner!! But perhaps we should discuss those in the Lounge :smiley: . My brother-in-law (who is also coming on Sunday) saw Rattle and Co doing Sibelius last night.

I am really pleased with the contacts. I thought that they would be uncomfortable and take ages to get used to, but not at all. I am sure that they will be great for observing but I don't want to jump to conclusions until I've given them a good try out.

Kerry 

I only stopped using contacts last year (had them for years before then), purely for lack of funds. Can't wait to use them again, even tho that will mean reading glasses. I'm sure they'll be superb for observing. Good luck with yours :)

As for music, we could go on for *hours* I suspect!

Archived