Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

European Extremely Average Telescope 2.0

Alveprinsen

Since I had a break-in in my old observatory, I decided to re-build it stronger and better. Unlike the old one, this one has a 360 degree view. The old one had a 180 degree blind-spot towards the north-west.

This one is also anchored to the ground, unlike the old one which was a free-standing structure. Also, it is not made by flimsy thin plates that are easily broken off.

A few more modifications now, and I will be ready for the next season.

obsy01

obsy02

Time-lapse:
The structure measures 150cm x 150cm inside, and the height is 2m at the tallest.
Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

Looks great - but I hope those clouds in the video are not a permanent feature of the location!

This day was a particularily bad one. But yeah, the skies are often cloudy. Last year I think I had a window of a handfull of days with clear skies and no moon. Other than those few days the moon and clouds overlapped eachother. Clear skies? - Full moon. Cloudy skies? - no moon...

Very nice.

But surely "European Extremely Close to the Cliff Telescope"? :->

It is not a cliff.. It is just the edge of the sand quarry. Even if you fell down, it would be "uncomfortable" at worst. Kids climb up there all the time. :p

Crime in Norway?! I thought that was almost unheard of!

Have you thought of electrifying this one?

It was just some kids. They were probably curious about what was inside. They left the several thousand £ equipment there, and took off with a roll of tape...

Crime is almost unheard of, it is still reasonably safe. In other cities though, not so much anymore.

Not many years ago you could leave your doors unlocked, and the keys in the ignition of your car. But I am afraid our little bubble up here in the north is about to burst, and we will be assimilated into the rest of the not-so-kind world.

• 2 months later...

Decided to image the imaging equipment tonight.

Clouds pretty much ruined my attempt at M45 with the new camera, but at least I got these few shots instead...

Those led-lights really disco things up don't they.. :)

SetupJPG01

SetupJPG02

SetupJPG03

Right now I am just guiding with a 500mm Skywatcher refractor and an Orion Starshoot autoguider, while imaging with a modified EOS 600D through a 18-200mm Sigma lens. :)

When I've managed to image that damn NGC 7023 and gotten a wide field shot of M42 - I'll bring down either the 600mm refractor, or the 1000mm reflector... We'll see. :D

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

Archived