Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

All-weather Scope/Mount/Pier cover

ChrisLX200

I just took delivery of a new cover I ordered for my mount and pier (from Cygnus Atro Covers: http://neilross758.wix.com/cygnus-astro-covers). This was made to my measurements from heavy duty (7oz) material and was designed to cover just my mount, pier and electronics boxes. A very reasonable price of £45 all-in for a well made product. It has a useful drawstring around the base which allows me to fasten it in place so the wind won't make away with it. It hasn't been tried in the rain yet (heavy rain tomorrow according to the forecast so just in time!). Very pleasedwith it.

DSC00373_zps72d7c611.jpg

DSC00372_zps29a117d0.jpg

DSC00371_zps96e4a3a0.jpg

DSC00370_zps09331633.jpg

IMG_0295_zps9dffb05f.jpg

ChrisH

And how it holds up to condensation.

It's 'breathable' so condensation should not be as bad as with an impervious membrane. My mount and electronics have both been treated with ACF50 so I don't expect moisture to cause issues in any case. My mount has a soft texture bag then this cover over the top - that's to stop any chaffing caused by wind moving the cover which might otherwise result in damage to the anodised finish at any contact points.

You could pay a lot more for a cover of this quality - just my opinion.

ChrisH

Googled ACF 50.....and this came up....Nice cover by the way Chris going to save loads of setting up time......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ACF-50-Motorcycle-Automotive-Metal-Anti-Corrosion/dp/B000P1C8UO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401903881&sr=8-1&keywords=acf-50

Yes that the stuff, just spray a _little_ onto a rag and wipe over external metal surfaces, and also spray onto any metal electrical contacts to stop them corroding and producing a poor connection. Spiders hate it as well - bonus! Be aware - do NOT get it on your optics or you'll have a devil of a job getting it off, it forms a tenacious thin film that only alcohol etc., will shift, you cannot just 'wipe' it off (which is why it works so well at protecting stuff against corrosion for lengthy periods).

ChrisH

Looms good, but, looking at the pictures, is it doggy proof? :-)

That dog is nuts, but hopefully she won't eat the cover :)  Feeling a bit sorry for herself because she was clipped last week, now there seems hardly anything left :) This is what she looks like with her Winter coat:

IMG_3006.jpg

"Right, which of you lot threw that snowball?...."

ChrisH

The best covers in my opinion are the telegizmo's 365's they are brilliant but quite expensive. They have a thermal shield under a polyester outer cover that keeps your scope cool & heavily protected from the weather. They are guaranteed 100% waterproof & can be left out continuously in all weathers from baking sun, snow & heavy rain.

I love my cover as I can finish a night of observing & tuck my scope safely away whilst I get some sleep knowing that it's safe from the weather.

My cover has had a good test now having been subjected to some torrential downpours in the last week. I've inspected the scope later that night and it's all bone dry underneath - so no condensation is being trapped under there, and if it's dewed up when I put the cover back on after a long session (which it has been on more than one occasion) I know it will dry off naturally. I will not be leaving an OTA out though as it is too much of a security risk, but other than that I feel it would be well protected under this cover.

ChrisH

Sorry if this comes across as me putting a dampener on things (forgive the pun) but I will be interested to see how it copes with high humidity as this seems to introduce the issue of moisture / condensation more so than rain per sey. I know a few members with observatories have resorted to running de-humidifiers despite their obs'y being weather tight. If bagging kit up in one of these covers were to prove a solution it would be money well spent but my thoughts are that anything less than air tight and that pesky water vapour is going to find a way in.

For a budget option try getting a patio heater cover. I have one on my setup and it is excellent especially if you just want something to put over for a few days. It is waterproof has vents built in and cost less than £20 through Amazon. Covers an 8"newtonian on heq5 on a pier. Great to be able to leave it all out between sessions.

Sorry if this comes across as me putting a dampener on things (forgive the pun) but I will be interested to see how it copes with high humidity as this seems to introduce the issue of moisture / condensation more so than rain per sey. I know a few members with observatories have resorted to running de-humidifiers despite their obs'y being weather tight. If bagging kit up in one of these covers were to prove a solution it would be money well spent but my thoughts are that anything less than air tight and that pesky water vapour is going to find a way in.

I've had some very high humidity recently and the mount is still fine. You cannot stop humidity entering but what happens afterwards is the important thing - if it condenses on the cold metalwork as expected then there has to be some way for the water to get out again from under the cover when it warms up. That's why 'breathability' is so important and also why other 100% waterproof covers (that are impermiable) are a really bad idea. A bit of water on the metalwork for a brief period of time should not be harmful - ordinary dewey nights can result in both scope and mount being sopping wet for most of the night - but it dries off as humidity drops and temperature increases. Airflow is key to this.

If you have a cheap mount with mild steel bolts or shafts etc., then under these conditions they will rust. Period. Mine consists of nothing but stainless steel and anodised aluminium so it is fairly hardy. The other worry are the electrical components or plug contacts, and these must br given added protection with an anti-corrosive agent. Past experience tells me WD40 is pretty much useless for this job but ACF50 is fantastic - it protects against corrosion and can be used on all electrics. As mentioned eariler, spiders seem to avoid anything treated with ACF50, possibly because the oily film is toxic to them in some way. I expected to see a lot of spider webs etc but I've seen none so far.

If I thought there was a danger of causing damage by leaving my expensive mount outside under this cover then you can be sure I would not risk it. I inspect it regularly and will continue to do so, but only time will tell. You make your own choice.

ChrisH

Archived