SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ5 Pro Mount is it the way to go?

simmo39

Ok, Doing a little future thinking here. I have got a SW127 Mak on a AZ goto mount which I have been using for some basic imaging, being v new to this game and not real getting totally to grips with what im doing at the moment but Im already looking at the next step. I cant see me getting rid of my SW127 at the moment but I realise the mount has it limits and sometime in the future want to replace it. Well lets get to the question. Is the EQ5 pro the next move? I dont have a lot of space to store  a large mount but would like some growth potential.

Sorry if this is old hat but I could only find odd bits about the EQ5 Pro.

Thanks  Andy.

It depends a bit on how future proof you need it. How far do you want to venture? For example I have had my HEQ5 pro for 7 years and I am happy with it. I started with a Mak 150 on it, then swapped for a 9.25SCT. I have done some AP on it which was ok. I have just got into guiding. The biggest set up I can get on it is 11kg which is right on the limit for good imaging. So let us know roughly where you want to be in 5 years and we'll chip in.

It depends a bit on how future proof you need it. How far do you want to venture? For example I have had my HEQ5 pro for 7 years and I am happy with it. I started with a Mak 150 on it, then swapped for a 9.25SCT. I have done some AP on it which was ok. I have just got into guiding. The biggest set up I can get on it is 11kg which is right on the limit for good imaging. So let us know roughly where you want to be in 5 years and we'll chip in.

Hi. At the moment Im happy with solar system imaging but I can already feel the call for DSO"s. I know my 127 wont hack that but im still learning and dont want to try and run before U can waik. The EQ5 Pro seemed to fit the bill but im open to all advise. 

The requirements and activities for solar system and DSO imaging are different. In basic terms, solar system needs video capture whilst DSO needs low noise still captures via a CCD or DSLR camera. The tracking requirements for DSOs are strenuous which dictates your mount type and capacity. Generally, wide field images from a smaller scope and long focal length images from a heavier scope. Important for the mount is its capability to track in RA predominantly for several minutes and if setup time is important for you a GoTo function. I fall firmly in the camp of investing primarily in a good mount. For imaging DSOs you need to be well within the claimed load capacity and I normally would say 60% of that. So think of your potential kit load and aim for a mount that can cope. Common examples are HEQ5 pro and NEQ6 pro. I have just started guiding for longer sub length which adds a second scope and guide camera to your load....... And on it goes.

I have a Celestron CG 5 which is I believe very similar to the EQ5 but with a sturdier tripod with 2" legs. I use mine for guided imaging with a wide field refractor and it more than up to the job. I can guide for as long as needed with perfectly round stars. I have also started imaging at longer focal length (1200mm) with a Celestron C8 and to my surprise, it seems to be guiding fine.

The good things about the CG5 / EQ6 is they are very portable and very cheap for what they offer.They are always coming up for sale in Astrobuysell.co.uk for very little money. I think it would be a good way to start DS imaging and you may find that if you upgrade to bigger scopes at some point in the future you skip the HEQ5 and go straight for an EQ6. And if you don't get the imaging bug, you haven't spent too much money.

Just my tuppence worth.

Have you considered the Celestron Advanced VX mount? It's what I'm thinking of moving up to at some stage as it will work with my Celestron Starsense and Skysync (GPS) accessories which the Skywatcher mounts won't. Just a thought.

The EQ5 pro is £500 and the HEQ5 SynTrek is only £630.  So a mount far better suited to astro-photography is only £130 more.  You don't need the HEQ5 goto version as you can use EQMOD (freeware) for that, as well as PHD for guiding (when you get that far) and camera control (planetary camera, DSLR or CCD Astro camera) all of which will require a laptop anyway.  These additions can be collected over time as you progress with your imaging.  Additionally the HEQ5 will take a decent payload (main scope, guide scope and cameras etc) - much more than an EQ5 will carry.

As for portability - the HEQ5 mount head can be carried in one hand (with the weights and tripod seperate!).  As for storage space there is little to choose between the EQ5 and HEQ5, yes the HEQ5 is bigger but not by very much.

Hi, Thanks for all the replys. You have given me lots to think about and I can see me going for HE Q5. Will just need to save a bit more cash.When storing a mount like the HE Q5 do you normally leave it up and if so is it too heavy to move easily? 

I'd consider the Celestron VX - I've used it with the C8 SCT for planetary and a 115mm Altair with a 60mm guidescope on it in the field with no problems.

It's extremely light compared to other mounts, rigid and has feature rich software (the polar align feature is outstanding).

David

Depends how much cash you have, I picked up a 2nd hand eq5pro for £300 and I use it for DSO with my 127 and a dslr with a finder guider. All works fine.

If you want to get into large reflectors and dedicated mono ccds etc then eq6 may be needed.

I do agree that a HEQ5 is nice, but you will be lucky to find used one under 550.

Considering a used dslr costs 250, it all starts to stack up quickly.

Anyway every one has an opinion. When I have the cash I will keep my little Eq5 for field work and get a eq6 on a pillar in a obsy.

Archived