SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any EQ8 News?

RobinW

I was wondering if you guys had any eq8 release news over there?

I paid a deposit last October for a December delivery but someone had crossed wires when alt/az eq6's arrived in December instead. I was then told March for delivery. So I got my significant deposit back and put it into other projects. I went looking again over the last couple of weeks and found that a bearing maker supplied them with bad bearings which has pushed the launch date here back to April/May while they fix it. I've been told we will be getting 22 mounts down here, 20 of which have deposits against them, correction, 21 of them as I got my money down again as well.

I find it a bit odd that no one in the US or the UK is taking orders or revealing prices. So, any news over there?

robin.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a look in to this today actually but nothing came up, seems like you guys and NZ are the only ones with stock potential for now :(

Surprising they aren't shipping more to you either, from what i've seen it is a significant step forward from even an EQ6

A video update showing the almost final EQ8 mount from Skywatcher. Video recorded at 2013 Astrofest by Robert and the team from Astronomy & Nature Center.

Click here to view

Looks very nice & a good vid, BUT, who finds it 'very easy' to carry around 26kg?? :rolleyes: Thats just over the wieght of a full sack of spuds & they aint light, I should know, working in a kitchen :grin:

Steve

EQ 6 weight includes the tripod though :D

good point, he didnt specify in the video whether that included mount or not. as long as those handles are in convenient positions i dont really mind if its heavier. the EQ6 isn't that heavy, its just really, really awkward to carry

From the look of the thing (I saw it at Astrofest) I'd be doubtfull of seeing any change from £3000, even with Skywatcher prices. It might even be in Losmandy Titan territory.

I also doubt it would go on a tripod, it looks more like obsy kit.

As for price, I would guess more in the $5000 to $6000(Can) range, maybe even a bit more.

And, knowing just how the government in my country happily steals every penny it can from its hard working citizen's that $5000-$6000 will in no doubt be translated into £5000-£6000 for us :mad:angry9.gif

Steve

Am I right in thinking that the first comment on the video came from the A&N centre, if so it would seem that the mount isn't quite the top performer it appeared to be? In any event, it looks very much the thing (think Star Trek) and I would be seriously interested in following it up. It did look very well engineered, which appealed to me and, if a thing looks good it tends to be good. I wait with bated breath to see what the cost might be! Many thanks for the link Rob 288.

I think the whole thing has been very badly handled by Sky Watcher. First there was meant to be an EQ7, quite what happened to that I don't know. Then the EQ8 was put forward, this must be over 18 months back if not more. In my opinion in 2012 this is unacceptable. I used to set up production all over the world, not for telescope mounts I agree, but If I had performed like that I would have lost my job for it.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

hehe I think my guess was just wishfull thinking based on a coment I sure I heard? something about it undercutting its competitors but maybe I misheard? If its in the Mesu territory price wise then I doubt I'll ever own one, I sold all my kit to buy the EQ6:D If I did have 4 grand spare for a mount I know I'd go for the Mesu at this moment in time.

I think the whole thing has been very badly handled by Sky Watcher. First there was meant to be an EQ7, quite what happened to that I don't know. Then the EQ8 was put forward, this must be over 18 months back if not more. In my opinion in 2012 this is unacceptable. I used to set up production all over the world, not for telescope mounts I agree, but If I had performed like that I would have lost my job for it

I have to agree....

Skywatcher seem very good at producing prototype mounts, which get the community buzzing...and then nothing comes of it.

I suspect however that the EQ6 is fairly well placed in terms of features and price to appeal to the majority of the market place and maybe they are just sounding us out ?

I wouldn't want to be a paying beta tester for an unproven mount TBH

I thought long and hard about this as well but couldn't see skywatcher releasing a dud especially after more than 18months of development.

If it tracks as well as or better than an eq6 and carries 50Kgs I'll be happy.

Archived