Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT Mount Specification, Price & ETA.

FLO

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the build up but I've no idea. :(

The Synta/Skywatcher official line tends to be to claim ignorance of EQMOD and the value it adds to their products, they certainly have never contacted an EQMOD developer past or present to discuss future compatabily or offer any technical insights. Despite this I would like to think that Synta/Skywatcher would make every effort to maintain EQMOD compatibility and perhaps they have in this case.

Might I suggest that the question of EQMOD compatibility should be posed directly to Synta/Skywatcher by their distributors in order to make them aware it is something they should consider/test. The EQMOD developers (just me at the moment) don't have the time or resources to buy and test every new mount Synta may introduce.

Chris.

Ok Folks,

This delivers what I have been waiting for for some time in regards to goto capabilities but without having to star align (due to encoders) every time I re-balance, which can be a few occasions during a session due to using a weight range of eps in the binoviewer & rather largish scopes.

However!

Would like to be re-assured that after forking out this type of money That I'm not looking at the usual 'upgrade / improvements' outlay further down the road.

So my questions are :

Is the counterweight shaft stailess steel?

How long is the counterweight shaft out from the mount body ( may need to order a third weight depending on answer) (at present I have the astro engineering SS longer bar and third weight on a standard EQ6)

Are the threaded mechanism components on the side that adjust the altitude of the mount stainlees steel?

Cannot see any locking mechanism on the mount to keep it stable whist rebalancing?

Any info grately appreciated as finger is hovering over the buy it / deposit button

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

We'll be sure to set one up as soon as they arrive then will answer your questions :smiley:

Astronomers are resourceful and capable so I am sure someone will develop something to upgrade or improve some part of the design.

All.

The encoders have a resolution of 0.14 arc seconds so there are 1 / 0.14 = 7 steps per arch seconds.

This mount apparenty has a closed loop system which offers the possibility to correct the mounts tracking error due to mechnical noise this has not been mentioned but it would be my hope....... It might be that it is only a closed loop system from the point of view of slewing the mount by hand. If it is a self correcting fully closed loop that does work it could really shake things up. A game changer.

I sold up and dropped out of astro imaging four years ago and just decided to consider getting back in over the last couple of months and have been put off by the price rises I am seeing for quality mounts generally but at the same time encouraged by what I can only describe as a 'new generation' of mounts that are appearing from the far east and all pretty resonable in price.

As an example see IEQ75 GT for a self correcting closed loop mount.

K.

Hi K, welcome to SGL :smiley:

The AZ EQ6-GT driving resolution is quoted as 0.1436 arcseconds.

The R.A. encoder is not a high resolution encoder so is not involve in tracking control. It is used for GOTO and position information only.

HTH,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

The Skywatcher AZ EQ- GT Mounts have landed. Anyone who ordered and paid in full will receive their mount tomorrow or Wednesday. If you paid a deposit I shall be emailing or phoning today with details of how to pay the balance but please don't worry, we have enough mounts to cover all existing backorders.

Unfortunately we don't have any spare! All Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT mounts have pre-sold (I have given up my space in the queue to ensure all those who placed an order receive one).

We have requested an ETA for the next delivery and will update this thread as soon as we receive an answer.

The fun begins :grin:

Steve

skywatcher_az_eq6-gt_front.jpg

The first of the AZ EQ6 GT mounts arrived at customer's homes yesterday but it appears Synta forgot to pack UK instructions! We have a pdf of the instructions so will print and post copies to customers today and will make it downloadable from our website.

The first of the AZ EQ6 GT mounts arrived at customer's homes yesterday but it appears Synta forgot to pack UK instructions! We have a pdf of the instructions so will print and post copies to customers today and will make it downloadable from our website.

We aren't out of the woods yet. The Skywatcher AZ EQ6 GT uses a different handset, which has it's own set of instructions. We are busy tracking down another pdf :smiley:

The Synta/Skywatcher official line tends to be to claim ignorance of EQMOD and the value it adds to their products, they certainly have never contacted an EQMOD developer past or present to discuss future compatabily or offer any technical insights.

This situation never ceases to amaze me - the existence of EQMOD turns a good mount into a great one, and was a major decision factor when I bought my NEQ6.

The new mount looks the business and SkyWatcher have clearly addressed some of the issues with its predecessor (e.g. the altitude adjustment and a locking power connector).

Is this new model going to be a replacement for the NEQ6 or will the NEQ6 continue to be available?

The new mount looks the business and SkyWatcher have clearly addressed some of the issues with its predecessor (e.g. the altitude adjustment and a locking power connector).

I have attached three photos showing the details you mention. They are only quick camera-phone pix of a mount on our shelf, we'll make and post better photos when we have one set up for testing.

Is this new model going to be a replacement for the NEQ6 or will the NEQ6 continue to be available?

The Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT is a new model that will run alongside the NEQ6. We shall be very disappointed if they discontinue the NEQ6.

HTH,

Steve

post-54-0-86669700-1353513089_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-96035700-1353513107_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-81980200-1353513125_thumb.jpg

Archived