Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A DIY observing chair project, part deux

I have more-or-less finished the observing chair, previously posted here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=185603

I have added a few lower slots in the front, not so much to be able to sit lower to the ground, but more to be able to add the footrest. I had initially just used screws to hold everything in place, now this is reinforced with glue. I had some Red Cedar wood stain left over from an earlier project, and this was applied after bevelling all edges. I found a cushion of the right width at a garden store, and folded this over and secured it with a few stitches to create a slightly sloping seat cushion. The cushion has two ribbons attached to it, which I use to secure it to the seat.

I have also added photos of the chair in folded position.

I think I want to attach some rubber mat to the footrest to prevent wear. I might apply the same to the three wooden pads on which the chair stands, also to prevent wear.

If I find time I might post the plans (but as these are still only stored in the deep recesses of my mind, I would first have to write them up :hello2:).

post-18313-133877770303_thumb.jpg

post-18313-133877770309_thumb.jpg

post-18313-133877770315_thumb.jpg

post-18313-133877770321_thumb.jpg

post-18313-133877770327_thumb.jpg

post-18313-133877770332_thumb.jpg

post-18313-133877770339_thumb.jpg

post-18313-133877770345_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Not just well executed but aesthetically pleasing as well - good combination and a great effort. I think I'm going to give this chair making lark ago. Perhaps if a couple more people feel inspired by Michael efforts, we will end up with a furniture section, "This season's Collection"!:hello2::D

James

Good idea for a furniture section :hello2:

Here's my own effort - still to be varnished and I think I'll change the padded seat to a webbed one. The lower rails that the seat will sit on act as foot rests when the seat is in the higher positions and the whole thing folds flat (ish) and will sit in the foot well between my car's rear seat and the back of the front seats...

StepChair%20-%20high.pngStepChair%20-%20low.png

Hi,

The seat just slides in across the front rails. The side rails of the seat are actually extended backwards -and they sit under the little blocks that you can see on the inside of the main uprights. At the end of each seat rail is a little block which sits behind the slide blocks - so when in place the seat cannot pull out of place. (I'll grab a couple of detail photos to cover those if anyone's interested)

TBH I could have used heavy pegs or bolt heads instead of the blocks in the main side rails but I preferred to add something rather than have holes in them which might weaken them. The whole thing is very light and just opens out like a small folding step ladder because the back leg and the bracing strut are all hinged. Nothing to assemble just open it up, slide the seat in and you're done :hello2: Not only that but since I have no parts to assemble - I don't have any that I can lose in the dark or leave behind.

It's only 1.3mtrs high as it's all I need for my 300P. If I'd needed to go higher I think I'd have finished up with a design more like yours as it's sturdier and more stable. Your system also looks rather more forgiving of "engineering inaccuracies", so to speak, than mine is. For example, on mine, if the small rear blocks are not both exactly positioned to the same gap I'd be putting a twist on the seat frame.

Virtually everything is glued with Resin W and pegged with dowels so apart from the wood the only hardware I needed was a couple of screws and four small hinges. Again, the dowelling made it more "engineering" than simply using screws but kept the weight and the cost down. The whole thing came in for under £50. Also, lots of step ladders like this have a rope between the front and back to stop it opening out too far - easier and cheaper - but at the risk of allowing them to close up if one leg slides, so I went for the fixed brace option.

Like yours the design is kept in two of my three working brain cells :)

Who are you asking? Me or Michael?

Not that it matters - neither of us have proper plans! :)

BTW... mine is equally handy in the kitchen, or when ironing <spit> :p

Well Michael has said he may post up his plans but he has to write them up first :hello2:

I'd have to do the same - but you still haven't said which ones you want... ?

TBH - if you're aiming to use either of them for your scope they pretty much have to be tailored to cover a range between the lowest and highest positions of your focuser. So angles and joining details will help you, but heights and lengths are more dependant on your own needs.

Archived