Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Interested in joining a new Warwickshire observers Group?

Flyingpig

Hi there,

Would you be interested to join an observers group that I am hoping to start in the general Coventry and Warwickshire area.

If a number of us join together in a group to observe we can safely observe in a dark sky location and jointly enjoy the experience. We can share and learn from each other and expand our knowledge of the hobby.

If you are at all interested please get in touch with me and I will keep you in touch with the details.

From dark sky map data; the darkest locations around the Warwickshire area are in the Southam area, South Warwickshire, and the areas East of Rugby and just to the North of Nuneaton. I am looking into a few candidates for dark sky locations in and around the Warwickshire area. We are currently looking at the area East of Rugby where the A14 and the A5199 intersect, we may share this location with the South Leicester Observers as it is easy to reach from Leicester also.

I aim to find a few locations in the area that we can perhaps rotate to if some locations are less easy to get to for some people; If anyone has any suggestions please get in touch.

look forward to hearing from you, clear skies and all that.

Phil

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Faulksy!

Also responded via private message, but would like to say I'm interested.

Great to have you Jade, so far there are about four interested and I only posted a short while ago. We will sort the details out regarding a dark site location and arrange a get together soon. I've replied to your PM

Phil

Just an update; we now have six interested people in the Coventry and Warwickshire area so myself and Simon of South Leicester Observers are going to explore and check out a couple of possible sites East of Rugby where the two groups can meet together. If anyone wants to join us in trying out this site if we get a clear-ish night soon please get in touch. I am still looking at other locations that might suit and a secure location South of Coventry has been offered complete with facilities. I aim to find an observing site in the Southam district soon; and another north of Nuneaton.

Anyone else interested to join the group please get in touch.

Phil

Hi everyone

We have now found a very good Observation site at Sulby Farm which is very close to Coventry Gliding Centre near Husbands Bosworth. I have obtained permission from the site owner so we are all set to go with our first meet.

The site is dark and unlit with unobstructed 360 degree views there are only a couple of very very distant lights to the north east; it's going to be about as good as we are going to find in the midlands area.

Simon of South Leicester Observers, Dave from Rugby and I made a few provisional observations at the site last night and although the cloud cover was around 70 percent the views were very good; I would estimate the limiting naked eye magnitude to be between around 6 perhaps better still.

For those in the Leamington / Southam and south Warwickshire areas and who find this site to far to travel; we will be finding a second observation site very soon this will most likely be in the Southam District. We will then rotate between the sites to include everyone.

We are planning to have a regular society meeting probably once or twice a month this is likely to be taking place in Coventry as I have provisionally been offered the use of a location by one of the SGL Moderators.

This coming Saturday looks promising weather wise so we are hoping it stays that way if so we will meet at the Sulby Farm site (see map) http://g.co/maps/njs62. I will confirm whether we are meeting on Saturday so do please remember to look here or else PM me your contact email and/or phone number.

If anyone else wants to join the group please contact me and I will keep you in touch.

Look forward to meeting you all as soon as we get some clear skies.

Phil

Hi Andy

Great to hear from you I'll send you a PM.

I'm guessing that your the guy from Northampton area who Simon mentioned had been in touch.

I have been in this area before on a clear night and the Milky way was clearly visible.

Fantastic news that's what I was hoping to expect from the Light pollution map. :):D

Can't make it tomorrow as I'm working so no doubt it will be crystal clear.

That would be very typical, however we are thinking of Saturday night not Friday??? :icon_scratch: But if you meant that you can't make it on Saturday then don't worry we'll meet again soon - weather permitting. If you are free Saturday then all the better! :)

Phil

For those in the Leamington / Southam and south Warwickshire areas and who find this site to far to travel; we will be finding a second observation site very soon this will most likely be in the Southam District. We will then rotate between the sites to include everyone. .

Phil

Holt Farm campsite, Napton?

Napton Holt Farm

Havent camped there for two years but I remember it being fairly dark.

Simon and I have now settled on a name for the group.

We have had people showing an interest in this group from Warwickshire, Leicestershire and Northampshire; therefore we are going to name the group Central Midlands Stargazers.

Holt Farm campsite, Napton?

Napton Holt Farm

Havent camped there for two years but I remember it being fairly dark.

Thanks Laser_jock99 :icon_scratch::) Looks a great site;

I will get in touch with the campsite owner and check it out.

Thanks Laser_joc

That's the same Light pollution map that I am using to find the sites; you can overlay this map into google earth and then you have an LP map with all the functions of google earth to find suitable locations precisely and check the LP level.

Actually the Sulby Farm location is a bit closer to Sibbertoft than shown on your map; so it's in one of the darkest sky locations in the whole region.

Phil

Hi everyone, we are meeting up this evening as the forecast is looking good the rain should clear up by around 1800 - 1830 and it should be a clear night.

We will meet from 2000 onwards at the Sulby Farm site see the posts above for a map. Looking forward to seeing as many of us as can make it.

Phil

Hi everyone, we are meeting up this evening as the forecast is looking good the rain should clear up by around 1800 - 1830 and it should be a clear night.

We will meet from 2000 onwards at the Sulby Farm site see the posts above for a map. Looking forward to seeing as many of us as can make it.

Phil

Am sure there will still be people about, i wont be there till around 8:30 - 9 and plan on staying for at least a couple of hours.

Hi all,

Hoping to make it tonight but might not be there until half 9ish. I presume people will still be about then?

Archived