NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

skymax 180 pro

Yeh I'm impressed with the views just looking to stiffen it up with the rings but trying to find the best way of taking up the slack. I tried some off cuts of felt when I was working out the space to fill but found the felt allowed the scope to slide no matter how tight the rings were so I'm hoping cork will be a bit more grippy :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cork should work well, i used a foam sticky back draft excluder to fill the gap, only needed to take up about 4mm, still keep toying with selling the 180, and getting the 150 pro, as then i could use it on the AZ4 ....time will tell

• 1 month later...

Budget-wise, when these 180 Maks do appear, they often sell for relatively low prices. A "few" hundred pounds, as opposed to "several" hundred pounds for 8" SCT tubes or similar. I suspect people don't really realise what brilliant scopes they are once you grow accustomed to their little foibles.

Ant

Budget-wise, when these 180 Maks do appear, they often sell for relatively low prices. A "few" hundred pounds, as opposed to "several" hundred pounds for 8" SCT tubes or similar. I suspect people don't really realise what brilliant scopes they are once you grow accustomed to their little foibles.

Ant

Have to say dont know if i will be keeping mine, i have an idea to get a 10" dob on a tracking platform, that would need the mak and syntrek to go to fund the project, no rush decisions though

• 4 months later...

Hi Folks, meet the new owner of Jules' Mak. Me :grin::icon_salut:

Picked it up off Jules on sunday and managed 1st light last night. Its a great scope and it didn't disappoint.

I used to have an Orion Apex 127 but sold it a couple of years ago and typically regretted it since. Now Ive got Mak overload with this luvly scope :grin:  Didn't manage to do Jupiter properly last night before the clouds rolled in here but what I did see showed a tantalizing glimpse of what to expect. However I had a great time on doubles and DSOs.

Thanks again Jules

Hi Folks, meet the new owner of Jules' Mak. Me :grin::icon_salut:

Picked it up off Jules on sunday and managed 1st light last night. Its a great scope and it didn't disappoint.

I used to have an Orion Apex 127 but sold it a couple of years ago and typically regretted it since. Now Ive got Mak overload with this luvly scope :grin:  Didn't manage to do Jupiter properly last night before the clouds rolled in here but what I did see showed a tantalizing glimpse of what to expect. However I had a great time on doubles and DSOs.

Thanks again Jules

I had been thinking of selling the 180 for about a year, and downsizing to the 150 pro, it took so long to make my mind up as the 180 is a superb scope, but sadly it just was not getting used, i feel i ave done the right thing getting a 150 pro, as i can use it on the AZ 4 mount for visual and still put it on the HEQ for luna imaging, so i feel i have traded a bit of aperture for more all round usability

Archived