Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skymax 180 pro

Looks great glad you managed to get it sorted :p

cheers, not quite sorted:o looks like i need another layer of felt in the rings, the OTA slides if pointed up wards

still trying to decide if i will fit a crawmach focuser, time will tell

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you got felt for it?

If not I could cut you some lengths flocked sticky back plastic if that helps?

cheers mark, might take you up on that, the rings are 50mm wide 203mm diameter but might call into local craft shop on saturday

Still kinda miss mine. If another one comes up at right price I'll be tempted...

thats why mine is a definite keeper, i really like Maksutov scope`s, and the 180 is a really strong performer for the price:icon_salut:

That looks just the job Nick, might get some myself :)

Jules I have measured the flocking sticky back plastic I have spare and the maximum length is only 60cm long.

I must have used a lot more than I thought, sorry buddy. :p

• 6 months later...

My rings were second hand they are orion, think they are 214 mm i placed a wanted add on ukabs and got a response fairly quick.

I have added a pic of the 180 showing the new focuser, im really pleased with this modification, money well spent

post-8850-0-21535400-1349450084_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

HI Jules, Only just spotted this post! The big mak looks fantastic with it's new focuser and tube rings, great job!

Cheers

Dave

cheers Dave, just need the HEQ5 to support it, and to use the antares f15 on!

• 3 weeks later...

that's a familiar looking scope :laugh: nice dew shield that really will keep it at bay.one word somes up the MAK180 for me POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its great planetary scope would not part with mine, unless a c9.25 becomes available at the right price :evil:

At peak star party, i started to consider selling my mak, due to being under mounted on the EQ5 deluxe, but when it came to making the decision, i could not part with it, so i ploughed even more money into it and bought an HEQ5 syntrek, this is on a CG5 2" tripod, so now nice and stable with decent tracking! at last i think the mak 180 is performing at its best

Jules, sorry if I've missed this info already, but how did you remove the dovetail screws safely? On my Orion 180 the dovetail is attached with nuts and bolts, with the nuts on the inside of the OTA. Did you have to remove the corrector assembly, and if so was it easy to do and did it affect collimation?

Thanks,

Ant

• 2 weeks later...

Jules, sorry if I've missed this info already, but how did you remove the dovetail screws safely? On my Orion 180 the dovetail is attached with nuts and bolts, with the nuts on the inside of the OTA. Did you have to remove the corrector assembly, and if so was it easy to do and did it affect collimation?

Thanks,

Ant

Ant, its really easy, i put a couple of bits of tape on the corrector ring, and ota, just for reference marks, remove front corrector via 4x small screws, at this stage i would stand ota on its open end so the 2 nuts cant fall onto the primary, then unbolt the dove tail and the internal nuts and special washers will fall OUT, if you need to hold the nuts to stop from turning, i would put latex gloves on

At peak star party, i started to consider selling my mak, due to being under mounted on the EQ5 deluxe, but when it came to making the decision, i could not part with it, so i ploughed even more money into it and bought an HEQ5 syntrek, this is on a CG5 2" tripod, so now nice and stable with decent tracking! at last i think the mak 180 is performing at its best

i did use mine on a EQ3 :eek: for little while, but i have upgraded to a EQ5 with dual axis motors it tracks very with a rough polar alignment and the batteries last for quite a decent amount of time if am using it away from a power source.

Ant, its really easy, i put a couple of bits of tape on the corrector ring, and ota, just for reference marks, remove front corrector via 4x small screws, at this stage i would stand ota on its open end so the 2 nuts cant fall onto the primary, then unbolt the dove tail and the internal nuts and special washers will fall OUT, if you need to hold the nuts to stop from turning, i would put latex gloves on

That's what I like to hear: Simples! ;)

• 4 months later...

Just bought myself a set of these rings they seem the closest fit for my Skywatcher Mak180 but they need about 10-12mm extra padding I've found some 5.5mm cork sheet I'm thinking of using. Has anyone used cork to line rings before ?

I am going to put a Losmandy rail on mine at some point. Also drill out the rear plate for a pair of fans to cool it faster.......it doesnt realls need it but I love to tinker about with stuff.

Its a brill bit of kit......

If you have one stick some orthos in the back and you will be amazed...trust me on this, you wont miss the FOV when you see the detail that comes back at yo

Archived