SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ6 belt mod

George

Corpze!

Here is my list of bearings that I got for mine two years ago. I bought from Spekuma and I believe they substituted one of them. SKF numbers are as follows:

4st SKF 608-2RSH

6st SKF 6008-2RS1

1st SKF 30206-J2/Q

1st SKF 32208-J2/Q

At that time I had had my EQ6 for less than a year and not used it much. Still, two of the main bearings were corroded. I suggest you replace them all.

/p

Thanks, thats alot of bearings :-D is it the 4 ones named 608-2RS that is for the worms?

Off the top of my head; yes.

On another note, I hope the milling that has to be done is in the mount and not the center hole in the wheel!

/p

i think that it has to be done on the mount as the pulley should be bigger for the desired ratio.

hopefully this year (after i by the modding kit) i will know more :grin:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all could someone that knows where to get the parts for this mod with the 47 tooth pulley for normal operation if they can list the parts and the store I can buy them not that German or swish shop that want to overcharge 129 € for 30 £ worth of bits as it is I pretty p with the mount costing that much to find out to bring it back to what it should be is going to cost a s load more .

need help to get this mount fixed.

cathy

as you can see I speak my mind.....

help gentlemen

Cathy,

Try: http://www.motionco.co.uk/

Look under the MXL timing belts and pulleys. They will also do the rebores for if requested

You should be able to get similar in Aus - search for 'MXL timing belts'

Hi Thankyou for the reply I could not find the 47 tooth pulley ?

do they sell that one ? Also good about the Rebore.

If they don't sell it can you direct me to someone that has them please.

cathy

There's a link to an ice in space thread earlier on:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=60667

which is probably worth a read. There's a posting there suggesting that the place to get the pulleys is HPC Gears in the UK because the Australian supplier does't supply that size. It is quite unusual to have a 47 tooth gear in my experience, so the number of suppliers may well be limited.

James

There's a link to an ice in space thread earlier on:

http://www.iceinspac...ead.php?t=60667

which is probably worth a read. There's a posting there suggesting that the place to get the pulleys is HPC Gears in the UK because the Australian supplier does't supply that size. It is quite unusual to have a 47 tooth gear in my experience, so the number of suppliers may well be limited.

James

Thankyou James there are so many forums I missed that one.

To be honest I don't think you'll find them as they are non standard ratio. I'm no expert, but you may find the difference between MXL and T2.5 may mean they won't fit in the mount without a bit of filling.

Your options are :

1) - shell out 130 euro for the kit from Germany

2) - locate a local fabricator that can machine the pulleys to the required spec to give the default ratio

3) - purchase the parts from Belting on line, HPC or Motionco and use a laptop with EQMod to control the scope

4) - Stick with the hand controller and gears

• 3 months later...

Corpze!

Here is my list of bearings that I got for mine two years ago. I bought from Spekuma and I believe they substituted one of them. SKF numbers are as follows:

4st SKF 608-2RSH

6st SKF 6008-2RS1

1st SKF 30206-J2/Q

1st SKF 32208-J2/Q

At that time I had had my EQ6 for less than a year and not used it much. Still, two of the main bearings were corroded. I suggest you replace them all.

/p

wow I just went to the local SKF supplier and was quoted £263.95 for these rubber sealed bearings! Jus to confirm that the quantities are 4,6,1,1 respectively for each type of bearing?

The unsealed SKF bearings were cheaper but still £148.49.

I must say I wasn't expecting that sort of money.

Would the unsealed bearings be a worthy upgrade over the stock? :blink:

I think we can all get wrapped up in the numbers etc, but the reality is that the HEQ5 and EQ6 mounts are mass produced to a commercial tolerance to fit a set budget. If you really want high accuracy with virtually no PE then you would need to look at mid to top range mounts, costing twice, three or ten times as much.

Changing them from gear drive to belt drive improved the PE on my HEQ5 for the reasons Jack explained, leaving the worm as the biggest culprit in the graph. I've yet to replace the bearings in my mount, but as I'm getting reasonably satisfactory traces when guiding with PHD and the resulting subs are workable I can't see the point of stripping the mount just to gain a slight improvement in arcseconds. For me one of the reasons I developed the HEQ5 belt conversion for my mount was to make it quiet with out the "graunching" during the ramping stages of the steppers at the start and end of the slew.

It's interesting to note that the Avalon mount takes this belt drive a stage further. These Italian mounts in essence use the EQ6 electrics (inc the synscan handset and steppers) but with a direct drive belt system. The PE and tracking accuracy quoted is extremely good, but then the mount cost around £4000 !

M1cad.jpg

That's very interesting - thank you :)  My design for a lightweight mount uses timing belts for the final drive - nice to see a fairly pricy commercial mount using the same type of drive rather than the customary worm drive :)

• 6 months later...

BMXL080 MXL Rubber Timing Belt, 80 T £2.76 Price Info

..and one of the above?

Sorry to dig up an old thread here guys, but I have a question. I did this mod following the instructions here, and the parts listed. My question is why is an 80T belt used since it doesn't correctly mesh with the pulley teeth?

80/48= 1.666

80/12= 6.666

I just joined, but usually monitor the forums to learn what's going on across the puddle. Great site you all have here!

Thanks,

Frank