SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ6 belt mod

George

My question is why is an 80T belt used since it doesn't correctly mesh with the pulley teeth?

80/48= 1.666

80/12= 6.666

Hi Frank 

The belt does mesh with the pulleys because they're the same pitch.

The "gear ratio" of the belt and pulley is always one to one (i.e. one tooth movement on the pulley will give tooth movement of the belt). It's the ratio of the two pulleys that sets the gear ratio i.e 48:12 or 4:1.

The number of teeth on the belt has nothing to do with it - the mod just needs a belt 80 teeth long because of the spacing between the pulleys.

Does that help?

Steve

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Hello! Glad to be in this forum and thread...

I recently bought a black EQ6 with pulse motors made in Japan, with an old external controller Boxdörfer MTS-3 SLP, so no goto functions.

I wanted to upgrade it to Onstep using this Roman's board

https://oshwlab.com/hujer.roman/onstep-for-eq6

But before that, I want to convert it to BELT driven pulleys, but since kits are over 150€/200€ I wanted to buy 48:12 that can exactly match the case so I don't change anything on pulleys nor case. I know that the axis diameter of wormgear is 12mm so the Bore Diameter of the pulley must be 12mm, and the maximum width is about 9mm in this case, so the maximum width of the pulley can be 6mm for the same belt of 6mm.  The OEM pulley diameter is 39mm, so the one that will fit with the belt must be about 36mm if I am not wrong. And max-width of all pulley must not be over 15mm with is reserved on worm for the pulley.

But having searched on the net, I cannot find any pulley that will be straight plug and play...

Can someone help me with the pulleys and belts, where to buy them? Thanks in advance...

p.s. I have read all the thread more than once...

Edited by miralem

I bought the parts  for a CG5 DIY belt mod from here several years ago  https://www.beltingonline.com/to-suit-9mm-wide-belt-c-272_284_479/36-tooth-htd3-pulley-363m09f-p-7728.html

------------------------------------------------------
2 x 15 Tooth HTD3 Pulley (15-3M-09F) (HP15-3M-09F)  = £14.23
Modify Bore? 5mm
Grubscrew Holes? 2off M3
2 x 3mm HTD® Timing Belts (4573)  = £3.91
Width in mm 9
Belt Length in mm 111
Tension Cords Glass Fibre
Material Neoprene Black Rubber
2 x 24 Tooth HTD3 Pulley (24-3M-09F) (HP24-3M-09F)  = £11.43
Modify Bore? Not Required
Grubscrew Holes? 2off M3
Keyway? Not Required

I believe the parts can be customised is some way if you find the right one, they also do different belt  qualities - I  went with high torque drive = HTD   (google timing belt pulleys)

• Like 1