NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A couple of recent galaxy efforts

Whippy

Nothing spectacular, but I did manage to grab some photons from during that nice weather we had during last week :). One thing I did find out is that my WO FFII not only works well with my ED80 but also my ED120 as well which these two images are done with so it can now run at f6 with a focal length of 720mm, I'm sure this will come into it's own with some of the smaller nebulae :(.

These were both taken with the aforementioned ED120 with an Atik 16HR, WO FFII reducer and a SW LP filter in the nosepiece. Guided with an WO ZS66, QHY5 and PHD. All atop an EQ6. Stacked in DSS and processed in photoshop.

First up, NGC 4725. Taken on the 6th and 8th of April. Total exposure time: 4 hours 20 mins (26 x 10 mins).

whippy-albums-dso-s-not-ufo-s-picture10603-ngc-4725-06-08-04-11.jpg

And NGC 6946. The Luminence was taken (exposure time 2 hours 50 mins (17 x 10 mins)) on the 8th of April but the RGB data was taken back in 2008. It wasn't great data at all and it was done with my old ZS110 so there's been a bit of resizing and mucking about with it. A bit of a fudge but it sort of works!

whippy-albums-dso-s-not-ufo-s-picture10604-ngc-6946-old-rgb-data-08-04-11.jpg

Tony.

Not bad at all Tony, especially the RGB work on NGC 6946. How do you find imaging & handling the 120ED for imaging ?

As you say you have used a WO FFII w/ your Atik 16HR, do you have an image in comparison where a WO FFII has not been used with the Atik?, I just want to see what difference it would make in an overall image.

Nadeem.

Thanks guys :), 4725's core is lush but I think it'll need a lot of time to get the outer dust showing properly, something to work on next year perhaps!

Nadeem, the 120 is about as big as I'd like to use unless I get an oberservatory. It does get affected by stronger winds but it is a really nice scope. Stunning visually on solar system objects too! This is the first time I've used the reducer on the 120 so all my previous images are at the 120's native focal length :(. IIRC, the reducer adds about 10 arcmins to each axis of the FOV so it's not a huge amount.

Tony..

Archived