Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

strange urges

nicnac

I'm waiting for someone to buy one of those TAL 125R Apolar Apo and to tell me if its any good. Perhaps its better that we don't know as that will be something else we'll need to put on the 'must have otherwise I'll throw a tantrum' list.:)

James

im waiting on a review on the 150 APO myself.

a proper review of the 150P would have been great too, when S@N reviewed 150mm newts they didnt include the TAL which bugged me abit considering what TAL have to offer, rolled seamless steel tube instead of rolled aluminium the others use, making the TAL stronger. TALs have 1/10 wave mirrors over the 1/4 and 1/6 wave the others use (OO do provide an upgrade option to 1/10 but its a real cost) Out of the box, you get the OTA, TAL X2 barlow, threaded crosshair attachment for aligning the finderscope (8x50, unbeatable) and a T adaptor.

my only bugbare here is that TAL do not make newtonians any bigger than 150mm

you just cant beat that for the price and you can get the 150P from first light optics.

So, dear reader, what are you waiting for?

silly me, how could I forget the supplied eyepieces, you get a 7.5mm and a 25mm TAL plossls that are of greater quality than the supplied plossls with some of the other producers i did a side by side comparrison with the TAL plossls and skywatcher super plossls, the TALs came out on top.

some will say I am jaded, biased towards the TAL.

I say I am jaded, I prefere quality and the TAL brand products ooze with it.

tiz a damned shame TAL have not produced a 250mm newt, if they did, it would be ... Astronomical

Just to clear up one point, the manufacturer claims 1/10 wave for the TAL 150P whereas OO does 1/10 Peak to Valley (PV) which is quite a different rating. 1/10 Wave is equivalent to 1/5 PV so an OO 1/10PV mirror is a much higher specification.

The SkyWatcher mirrors are probably about 1/4.5PV (1/9 wave) so the TAL is a bit better but not by much.

John

John, thanks for that, i will have to check it out.

Tony, information was gleaned from hours of trolling through hundreds of web pages and forums,

here is a quick link to some TAL information

Russian telescopes: 150 mm, f/5 newtonian reflector TAL-150P, telescope for amateur astronomy

there are also a few customer reviews at the bottom.

i am aware that this, to some, will not be enough so i have sent an E-mail to NPZ optics administration for mirror specifications and clarification.

in the interest of fairness, similar E-mails have been sent to other companies asking for theirs too, skywatcher refered me to optical vision as they dont deal with customers directly (which i think is rather poor etiquette)

when i aquire the returning correspondence from NPZ, i will paste it here

Just to clear up one point, the manufacturer claims 1/10 wave for the TAL 150P whereas OO does 1/10 Peak to Valley (PV) which is quite a different rating. 1/10 Wave is equivalent to 1/5 PV so an OO 1/10PV mirror is a much higher specification.

The SkyWatcher mirrors are probably about 1/4.5PV (1/9 wave) so the TAL is a bit better but not by much.

John

you may find this as interesting as i did

Rating Mirrors - amateur telescope making

just re-read that and i sound a bit sharp, this was not my intention, it is a good article though :)

well, i got an answer, a short one, regarding the TAL,

"Our mirrors have highly reflective coatings providing reflectivity of no less than 94% in the spectral range 400-660 nm"

i dont know much about mirrors and coatings, not to such extent that i can fully understand what the above states, will have to do more research.

nothing from the others yet

the way I would look at optical quality is that if you are happy with a scope and it performs like you expected then it's a winner! just enjoy using it :eek:

if you want a specific quality standard then at least you can pay more and get it. in truth it's more often seeing conditions in the UK which restrict the view not optical quality. :)

from what I hear though, the TALs are superb scopes.

the way I would look at optical quality is that if you are happy with a scope and it performs like you expected then it's a winner! just enjoy using it :icon_salut:

if you want a specific quality standard then at least you can pay more and get it. in truth it's more often seeing conditions in the UK which restrict the view not optical quality. :)

from what I hear though, the TALs are superb scopes.

wholeheartedly agree :eek:

Archived