Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stunning Clarity Last Night.

Damo636

Did anyone else notice how excellent the seeing was last night? I don't remember the last time the atmosphere was so steady. We had rain and hail on and off all day so couldn't believe the way the way the skies cleared after 9pm. I set up the Tal to observe the moon and Saturn and was rewarded with one of the best sessions i can remember. I studied the moon till about midnight and then switched my attention to Saturn. With the 8mm Hyperion it was simply stunning. After a while i thought i'd give my newly aquired 5mm Baader ortho its first light. I bought this from Flo last week for use on rare nights like this that the seeing was exceptional. I could not believe the clarity at 200X. I hadn't seen the Cassini division in a while but i managed to see it last night with this eyepiece. I will probably add the 4mm to my collection as well as i would have been able to use it last night. If only we had more nights like this!

Damo

Lucky you!

Here in Eastern England (at least at my location) the sky was fabulously clear, but the seeing was as bad as I've ever seen. Saturn was boiling as though it was underwater, so I packed up as soon as I'd started. Nice to get an early night, though!

Sunday night with us (Northern Ireland) was completely overcast. I couldn't believe the way it settled last night for those few hours. Mind you, the rain woke me on the Velux window at 3am so normal service was quickly restored!

The seeing was excellent for me last night too. Definately the best conditions I've had in about 15 observing sessions since I got my scope in Dec.

M3 and M13 last night were far and away the best they've ever been for me. Usually they wobble in and out of focus but last ngiht they were crystal clear.

Shame about the moon spoiling the rest of the view though :p, but you have to be adaptable and I spent 2 hours observing the moon and got some great pics :)

If I've discovered anything since I started in December, you seldom get everything working for you at the same time: clear skies, good seeing, good transparency and moonless nights seem very few and far between.

Very clear here (S. Oxon) too, but the seeing poorish, and Saturn mushy, although I could just about make out the Cassini division every now and then.

Interestingly enough (re recent comments about M51 and ease/difficulty), I could easily see M51, and see the shape of it and get a hint of detail, even with my ED80 at x60.

Chris

Archived