Another Orion Nebula, longer exposure this time

Chris Graham

Last night it was freezing but before the moon got any higher i snapped a few frames of The Orion Nebula.

Orion 80ED, Canon EOS 350D (unmodded)

14 x 4 min, ISO 400, no LP filter this time.

Flats & Darks

A lot more detail in this image, used the masking tool in Photoshop as found on Astropix to keep some of the core detail. I feel its still a bit bright.

With the last few frames the glare from the moon was effecting the image and anyways the clouds rolled in.

:rolleyes:

post-13291-133877326129_thumb.jpg

No that is a beauty Chris, I'm sure you're please cos it's close on perfect. Lovely job with the processing. You mentioned using a mask for the core, do you mean you duplicated the background, applied some more stretch, set the mask to reveal, blocked out the bright bits and adjusted the opacity. Whether or not you did I think that's a great idea. It's hard to control the feather though.

BTW I think the core looks ok. Not to keen on holding the core back too much, tends to look a bit unatural

Wow.. very impressive, I like the portrait angle used to catch the neigbouring nebulosity.

Vega

Don't want to insult your intelligence, but I think you are referring to the "Running Man" nebula at the top of the image, just FYI!

That's a ridiculously brilliant image - I am in Awe (a quaint little town at the coast, to the north of Aberdeen :rolleyes: )

Andrew

Don't want to insult your intelligence, but I think you are referring to the "Running Man" nebula at the top of the image, just FYI!

That's a ridiculously brilliant image - I am in Awe (a quaint little town at the coast, to the north of Aberdeen :wink: )

Andrew

Bah ... caught me wiv my trousers down.. :rolleyes: lol. I couldn't for the life of me think of it's 'asterism' name at the time, so rather than give in to my pride and google it, I tried to avoid properly identifying it.

Forever learning in this trade!

Matt

I can but add that I echo all that has been said, and then some. It is not often I have seen the Orion Loop, but there it is plain as day.

Excellent is not enough, we need another word. Somebody please invent another word.

Barkis. :rolleyes:

Archived