Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What would you do with this mirror?

Whrrr

I have just acquired a 6" f2 mirror and am thinking of building my own Dobsonian with it.

From what little I so far understand, this is a very "fast" mirror - what sort of applications would suit such as mirror or am I barking up the wrong tree?

With thanks,

Mark

The main thing that strikes me is coma, there's going to be loads of it. Also it will be rather small and compact which is not a bad thing. It will be an interesting project.

Could you not fit a corrective secondary mirror to this on the back of a meniscus lens and trepan a central eyepiece aperture through the mirror to make a sensible schmidt cassegrain?

F2 is a bit fast, almost Schmidt camera like. the focal plane will be quite curved, so not too practical for a visual telescope.

I made an 8" f3.3 mirror a long time ago. It made a superb richest field scope if you ignored the comets towards the edge of the field. :icon_eek:

I found myself using it regularly, though I had 12" f6 in an obs.

The beauy was, I could hold the OTA under my arm with a low power EP in, and pan around the sky, while sitting in a chair in the garden.

Ron.

Is this the one off ebay?

If so, it's a sphere, not a parabola. It was either the primary for a small schmidt (unlikely), or a test sphere of testing convex optics (e.g. 'Hindle sphere test'). I thought about buying it as a test sphere, but decided not to.

Certainly not suitable for a dob type telescope in its current form. You could regrind to something like f/5 or longer...

Yes - it is indeed the one on ebay and I was surprised to win it at that price. It seemed like a good idea at the time and perhaps one of those things that may come in handy one day! As for the Dob, I think I will look elsewhere... Can someone recommend a good place to buy mirrors in the UK?

Thanks,

Mark

Archived