Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good illustrated book of Messier Objects ?

ribuck

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good book / illustrated guide of the messier objects.

Basically i want a book with pretty pictures of the messier object in order i.e. M1, M2, M3 etc to help choosing imaging targets instead of looking up each one on the internet or brigning up the details in Astronomy app.

Would be nice for the book to have a little info, such as magnitude, best times of year to view/image etc

Rich.

If you fancy something bigger and more colourful, have a look Atlas of the Messier Objects, also published by Cambridge. It's an absolutely beautiful book.

(Full disclosure: I work for Cambridge University Press. But not in the marketing dept. :rolleyes:)

I can vouch for that, it is a lovely book. Not handy for the field but a real treat on a wet Sunday afternoon on the sofa.

Ian, you're a lucky man hope you get good discounts, I've spent a fortune with you lot...

One very happy customer...:icon_eek:

If you fancy something bigger and more colourful, have a look Atlas of the Messier Objects, also published by Cambridge. It's an absolutely beautiful book.

(Full disclosure: I work for Cambridge University Press. But not in the marketing dept. :icon_eek:)

+1 for this book - it's not cheap but a marvellous purchase if you fancy treating yourself.

Very much a coffee table style book, superb pictures. Shouldn't really have had the word 'atlas' in the title though, as an atlas it certainly is not.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think i'm going to try and save some costs by cutting and pasting the big images from martins wiki link into word and formatting it they way i want it then print it off at work as a little A5 handy booklet.

Martin, thanks for the wiki link, saved me some cash :icon_eek:

Rich.

Yeah it seems great as it's a lot cheaper than £30-£40 for a book of pretty pictures. I think i'll look for a high resolution image of the messier object poster and print it on the plotter at work on A0 size, then make a little A5 size booklet with images and additional info like best time of year to view, magnitude etc etc.

Yeah it seems great as it's a lot cheaper than £30-£40 for a book of pretty pictures. I think i'll look for a high resolution image of the messier object poster and print it on the plotter at work on A0 size, then make a little A5 size booklet with images and additional info like best time of year to view, magnitude etc etc.

The "atlas" is in the special gift or serious retail therapy band that's for sure.

Astronomy Now gave away a very nice poster of all the Messier objects a few years ago, I think it was in the May 2007 issue - you can still get it for £5.50 here: Astronomy Now Store (EU)

I can vouch for that, it is a lovely book. Not handy for the field but a real treat on a wet Sunday afternoon on the sofa.

Ian, you're a lucky man hope you get good discounts, I've spent a fortune with you lot...

One very happy customer...:icon_eek:

Hehe, I keep expecting them to take my discount card away. Not my fault we have a fab astro list. :rolleyes:

I've been having some fun with this book, picking targets, covers more than Messier

The practical astronomer's deep-sky ... - Google Books

Yep, got that one too - think I'm a book junkie :icon_eek:. It has some flaws like one or two of the constellation summary maps have missing labels (or at least my edition has) and the pointless repeating of the same FOV tables under each object, but those niggles aside it's not bad at all.

Another book to consider is The 100 Best Astrophotography Targets: A Monthly Guide for CCD Imaging with Amateur Telescopes Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series: Amazon.co.uk: Ruben Kier: Books but I might be in danger of being off topic here as the targets included in the book don't cover the full Messier list.

the link posted by JWR kept me busy for hours... amazing amount of info when you look at the data links and because it shows in b/w it gave me a better idea of expectations for the EP - very useful, thanks james.

Archived