Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Birch Tree Observatory - almost done!

Ok a bit more progress.

Shed has been ordered....8x7 metal.

Wood arrived and getting cement tomorrow along with the flooring.

Here are a few more pics.

I have used breezblocks to level the area as it was on a slope. So far so good.

Also cemented the rebar into a bucket which in turn will have the plastic tube over it.

may%20070001.JPG

may%20070002.JPG

may%20070004.JPG

may%20070006.JPG

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's getting started, this part feels slow but worth getting things as level as you can. I spent ages on the ground work which is all covered up now. I'm really enjoying the build and hope you are too. Are they concrete blocks you are using?

good luck

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Ok finally a proper start!

Created a temporary frame and flooring to test the height that the pier should sit. I work it out to be around 120cm from ground level.

:)

Looks like this will provide quite a good height and the mount plate could still be adjusted.

Well that only took me about an hour and a half so I'm knackered!

may%20170001.JPG

may%20170002.JPG

may%20170003.JPG

--- Very big update --- :police:

A weekend worth of work and help from my father-in-law and i have managed to get the pier finished and cemented in.

Battelling with the wind and rain at times and mixing 23 bags of concrete mix it was all worth every sore muscle in my body.

The pier is around 135 cm from ground level fully concreted into the hole with rebar.

may%20190001.JPG

may%20190002.JPG

may%20190003.JPG

may%20190005.JPG

may%20190004.JPG

may%20190007.JPG

You probably all know that i have been a bit worried about aligning the mount to Polaris and i had an idea while building the pier.

I created a wooden mount plate and went out at around 11pm to carry out a polar alignment. This worked a treat and i marked the position in the top of the pier.

Heres a picture of the wooded pier plate.

may%20190008.JPG

Now its Sunday and the cement has set nicely.

Time to finish the job off. The rebar is not exactly centre but who cares, this pier doesn't budge at all.

may%20200001.JPG

may%20200002.JPG

may%20200003.JPG

may%20200005.JPG

Father-in-law giving me a hand :D

may%20200004.JPG

So now for the base and flooring, it'll have to wait till tomorrow. :D

Nice work Chris, I can totally appreciate the time and effort you're putting into this project.

Looks very wet though, I've had a very dry weekend on mine. It'll be good when the floor is down, at least you'll be out of the mud.

keep going

DAve

Another big update -

Shed up, roof up and wheels on! :D

Looking amazing and I'm really happy.

may%20260001.JPG

may%20260002.JPG

Roof frame

may%20260003.JPG

may%20260004.JPG

Took four of us to lift this roof up over the decking.

So a big thanks to Derek, Karen (my wife) and Maureen

may%20260005.JPG

may%20260006.JPG

Only got two tunbuckles on just now as a temporary measure, but the roof wont budge at all even with that.

may%20260007.JPG

Supports to be cemented in tomorrow.

may%20260008.JPG

And i just could not resits placing the scope on the pier. :D:lol: :lol: :lol::police::D :D :D

may%20260009.JPG

WHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHOooooooooooooo!!!!

I now have a roll off roof shed!!

Still a few things to finish. :lol:

Brilliant Chris, that did go up quick and really looks the part . You must be very happy.

Rain has hampered my progress and the forcast for the next week isn't too bright. Sods law as I have a weeks holiday. Oh well I'll catch you up soon.

DAve

Allow me to salute you Chris. You have created a great little ob for yourself that is bound to enhance your astronomy no end.

Well done indeed, and I look forward to the superb results that will come out of that great little observatory.

Also, a word of praise for your good lady, who I am sure was a big help to you in her own way during this project.

Lots of good astronomy to you.

Ron. :police:

I know exactly how you feel Chris, its a great feeling of achievement and satisfaction,when it all finally comes together.

Without any doubt, the obs will be the biggest boost to your enjoyment of the hobby ever. No longer will you have to think 'is it worth setting up, as it might cloud over later'. Now you can be up and running within minutes, and packed away in the same sort of time, if it does cloud over.

Thanks for the allowing us to see the project grow, from a muddy hole in the ground, to a 'fully fledged' observatory. I have enjoyed following your progress.

Dave

Archived