Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Birch Tree Observatory - almost done!

I have now started planning my observatory location and shall keep updating with new pics. (even has a name already !!!!)

Its gonna take me quite a while as i have still to save for the shed, but hey i gotta start somewhere.

So here are a few pics:

9", 6 foot tube for pier

tube1.jpgtube2.jpg

The location of the 10 x 7 shed

IMG_7226.jpg

I'm gonna have a nice path going down this area to the door of the obs.

IMG_7231.jpg

Just testing the size out, its a 7x7 foot observatory section with a 3x7 warm room, yup small but that all i can do.

IMG_7238.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Just a couple of points Chris. Is that a plastic pipe, and if so do you intendfilling it with concrete? I don't know what time you took the first picture, but do I see the shadow of your house on the back fence? If so your back garden faces North. Am I correct. Just curiosity you know. :)

Ron.

Looking good.

I've started mine, today I've mixed the last of the concrete foundation pads and hope to make the 4x2 base this week. Going to build it from scratch with a roll of roof. 9x6 foot with a tiny 2'6" x 7 warm cupboard. It's gonna take a while.

Dave

OK James I take some pics tomorrow and start a thread of my own to plot progress.

Gordon, my pier base is 10" square and I was going to put 80cm of 16mm threaded studding into a 14" square hole about 90cm deep in heavy clay. Is that enough?

cheers

Dave

my pier base is 10" square and I was going to put 80cm of 16mm threaded studding into a 14" square hole about 90cm deep in heavy clay. Is that enough?

I'd go for more like 20 inches square, 10 inches is too small. As long as it doesn't get too close to any structures supporting the floor of the observatory (piles, concrete pads, concreted in posts etc.), the bigger the better.

I've got the same ground, heavy compacted clay with loads of flint. I can't think of anything much better, really can't see it moving in that. I've gone 20" square and the lump of concrete will be 3 ft deep. Don't know if that's overkill for a 60mm tasco!

Keep going

DAve

Archived