Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

350d focus

jayjt29

Hi Jay,

I had the 350 - nice camera, but right - no live view !

There are a couple of software packages, both give a trial.

APT & Backyard EOS.

You'll have to double check, but I think both can be used with the 350.

Of course - you'll also need a laptop to run it.

Alternatively, you could try EOS utilities that came with the camera. I know that I can use a live view function on it with my 1000D (It has live view anyway), but worth checking out if using it with the 350D gives the same functionality. As said though, that route will require a laptop in the field.

Before that you want to look into whether there is even enough inward travel on the focuser to achieve focus at all. There wasn't when I tried with my 350d on my SW 130p.

As for liveview, I think it's over-rated. Using a bahtinov mask (one cut out of card with a template from a website is good enough) on a bright star is damned effective!

Focus should be ok on a modern 150 as it screws directly to the focus tube. Just use apt with a laptop and take many 2 second exposures with a mask whilst slowly adjusting focus. Without a laptop it will be more of a pain, but take a similar manual approach.

I agree with Catanonia that LiveView models are better. But if you choose 350D, a Bahtinov mask will make the focusing much more easier. BTW Bahtinov is handy no matter what camera you are using :icon_eek:

While LiveView will be nice, I have no trouble focusing with a home-made Bahtinov mask, taking ~6s exposures to check focus each time. Takes me a total of around 3 minutes to get happy focus.

Archived