Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope ordered - SW Flextube 10" Auto - How I chose the right one for me ...

solarwallace

Well I finally made a decision. It's been 2-3 weeks of trying to work out which scope was the best upgrade for me. I hope this little tale helps someone else make their decision...

I originally had a SW 150 Explorer on an EQ3-2 mount which was a fairly lucky first choice. Having decided to upgrade to the SW 200P on an EQ5 mount I suddenly started to think about what I really used this scope for. That lead to a lot of reading of threads on here to try and educate myself some more. This opened up more choices including a SW Flextube Auto.

A common them was that every time someone in a thread said they were mainly visual everyone shouted (in the nicest possible way):

DOBSONIAN!

If someone said, "I want to do astrophotography including galaxies and nebula..." everyone said:

YOU NEED A BIGGER MOUNT! (the one you're getting with you scope won't hold all that gear you know the guidescope, the camera, the monkey on a chain....)

I wanted to do mainly visual with a bit of planetary photography via a webcam. So I spent ages thinking about a HEQ5 (which I can't afford and then looking at SW250P's (because I'd gone aperture mad by this point:D ) and suspecting in the end that I didn't need an EQ mount at all.

Thing is though, I like EQ mounts. My first scope was EQ and somehow a scope without an EQ isn't a scope to me:confused:. I LIKE getting contorted trying to see through the finder:eek: And they look kinda cool. So I uhhmed and i ahhhed which was good because no-one was buying my 2nd scope at that point so it was all a bit immaterial.

Then I did what I should have done in the first place. I called FLO, spoke to Martin who said that for what I wanted the Flextube Auto would work fine.

So I've ordered the 10" Flextube Auto. Can't wait until the boxes turn up. I suspect they will be of a 'reasonable' size.

What I haven't explained to my other half is that if (when) I want to start taking piccies of DSO's I'll be buying a nice big mount to put a totally different scope on :D But that's the future...

Thanks to those that have advised along the way. I'll try and do some sort of review when I get it.

Steve

I'm feeling the start of aperture fever too ...

I like the SW150p, it's not too big for transporting and I like that I can go off and do something else then tweak the RA control an be back on target again.

But my next scope will be a big (ger) Dobsonian.

I liked my 150 but I also had a smaller scope as well and thought I could 'combine' the two and get a bigger one using the power of Ebay!

The new one I've ordered actually has tracking on it. To be honest, if I was only using it visually and was sure I could manage to nudge it at high mag I could have saved a bucket of money and bought a solid tube dob.

But I like to complicate things ...

I'm feeling the start of aperture fever too ...

I like the SW150p, it's not too big for transporting and I like that I can go off and do something else then tweak the RA control an be back on target again.

But my next scope will be a big (ger) Dobsonian.

Really good choice there Steve, you're going to love it I'm sure :D I have an HEQ5 as I wanted to do astrophotography more than viewing, but I'm seriously thinking of a 12" dob to push around while the camera is clicking away... haven't mentioned that to the Mrs yet though....

Steve I think this is an excellent scope to cover your visual needs. I never regretted buying my 10" Dob and as you can see I have viewed some interesting DSOs.

My main trouble after buying the Dod was that I spent a huge amount of eyepieces but again I don't regret that decision either because the views are brilliant.

Enjoy the scope.

Mark

I've managed to resist ordering a new eyepiece with the scope. I'll wait till I've got used to it (so I'll be ordering at the weekend ...)

My main trouble after buying the Dod was that I spent a huge amount of eyepieces but again I don't regret that decision either because the views are brilliant.

Enjoy the scope.

Mark

Steve,

I'm looking to upgrade from my 150P/L, after weeks of dithering, I think I’ve decided on the 250PX, well at least for the past three days. It would be good to see the difference you experience between the two. Look forward to the review.

Paul

I bought the same scope before Christmas and I'm super impressed with it. You're right, it comes in 2 huge boxes.

I had mine delivered to my work address, where I could unpack it, dispose of the boxes and then smuggle it into the house under cover of darkness.

Then used the tried and tested excuse of:

"Oh this, I've had this ages....."

You can be sure I'll get something on here when I've got it. I'll find out a rough date for delivery tomorrow hopefully. Might be Wednesday, might be longer due to the sudden popularity of scopes.

Steve,

I'm looking to upgrade from my 150P/L, after weeks of dithering, I think I’ve decided on the 250PX, well at least for the past three days. It would be good to see the difference you experience between the two. Look forward to the review.

Paul

You're a braver man than I! Well it hasn't cost me much cos I've been selling everything I can think of to fund it so my wife approves which is nice :)

I'm sure she could use that excuse with me though as I'm not always that good at listening :D

Might be here in two sleeps, might not ...

I had mine delivered to my work address, where I could unpack it, dispose of the boxes and then smuggle it into the house under cover of darkness.

Then used the tried and tested excuse of:

"Oh this, I've had this ages....."

Well I got my scope yesterday which was very quick indeed thanks to Martin at FLO B)

Took a little while to put together and setup but it's all done. Then I spent some time getting everything aligned ready for first light. Hopefully it will clear tomorrow night.

The build process itself was very easy. Skywatcher scopes always seem to come with a set of tools which is nice. All the screws are in separate bags so it's easy to find the right one at the right time. It came in two big boxes as you can see from the pictures. The base was flat packed.

The tube itself is the heaviest bit of course. More unwieldy really due to the size. I'm glad I didn't go for a 12" (out of my budget anyway) as it would be getting too big to transport. It's nice looking piece of kit. Speaking of transporting, the only real way to move it is take the tube off and move the base separately.

I now need clear skies and the time to find the bits I need to power it from my 12v powerpack rather than 8 LR20 batteries (ouch).

Roll on clear skies :)

Steve

post-18051-133877555566_thumb.jpg

post-18051-133877555573_thumb.jpg

post-18051-133877555581_thumb.jpg

post-18051-133877555588_thumb.jpg

Archived