Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Tal 100RS On EQ5

Damo636

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful scope! It is excellent that you and your youngster are observing together.

Be careful thought - in a year or so, he'll be asking (and answering) questions that will astound you! :D

Dan

Thanks Guys

Believe me Dan, the questions are already coming thick and fast. I let him have a look at the double cluster and the orion nebula the other evening and he has been telling everyone about it since. Wait till he sees Saturn! Perfect height indeed Andy!

I wish i could get this comfortable just once while observing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i'd show off my new diagonal. I recommended this to another member on here and liked the look of it so much i bought one myself. Really like the compression ring fitting. Can't say if any improvement visually over standard Tal diagonal because even the Dielectric coatings cannot see through cloud!!

:icon_eek:

post-24496-133877557649_thumb.jpg

Just thought i'd show off my new diagonal. I recommended this to another member on here and liked the look of it so much i bought one myself. Really like the compression ring fitting. Can't say if any improvement visually over standard Tal diagonal because even the Dielectric coatings cannot see through cloud!!

:icon_eek:

I believe you recommended it to me!

I almost bought it, but am using the funds instead to invest in a small mak for holidays/extreme grab and go.

Looks like a real nice setup!

I have really got to take a look through one of these Tal's. Every one speaks so very highly of them.

For the money, these are really hard to beat. Built like a Sherman tank and sharp as a razor!

I would like one it's just they are so close cost wise to a 2nd hand C100ED it's which to go for Achromatic or Apochromatic ?

that is the issue, to be honest i would probably go for c100ED secondhand over the tal, but for the focuser, the tal rs focuser is much better than the standard Ed unit

I hear the focuser on the C100ED's are dismal but I guess this is how they were able to sell Apo refractors at such competitive prices. Considering the C100ED & SW ED100 are said to house the same optics the Celestrons 2nd hand sell for no where near the same money as a SW ED100 despite how easy it would be to upgrade the Celestrons focuser.

despite how easy it would be to upgrade the Celestrons focuser.

the C100ED's focuser is not that easy to replace though! They use a screw on thread rather than the standard 'three bolts at 120 degrees'. you need an adapter as made by Agena in the US, and these are becoming hard to come by in the UK. Both my Celestron EDs have been upgraded to Dual Speed Antares Crayfords. You could pop a Moonlite on without need for an adapter as they make a version for the Celestron EDs- that would be nice;)

Stephen

Archived