Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Tal 100RS On EQ5

Damo636

Thanks Guys

Believe me Dan, the questions are already coming thick and fast. I let him have a look at the double cluster and the orion nebula the other evening and he has been telling everyone about it since. Wait till he sees Saturn! Perfect height indeed Andy!

I wish i could get this comfortable just once while observing.

Hi Damo,

As for the comfort thing, I built an observing chair that really takes the strain off. It didn't cost that much, and I posted complete plans and building instructions HERE. It works really well for me, and folds up into a single, flat piece. It could be a little lighter, but I prefer a sturdy seat under my bottom - even when I'm just a few feet off the ground! :)

Dan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the C100ED's focuser is not that easy to replace though! They use a screw on thread rather than the standard 'three bolts at 120 degrees'. you need an adapter as made by Agena in the US, and these are becoming hard to come by in the UK.

Thanks Stephen that's handy to know. I have seen those adapters for sale some where but I didn't pay much attention as I thought due to C100ED's coming out the same factory as ED100's they would be retro fit to suit SW focuser's. I think this is where TAL made a good choice putting crayfords on the 100RS to compete against Synta and I am well aware the optics are well above the standards of massed produced Chinese refractors. Trouble is it's looking like all this comes at the price of a lack of availability.

The Celestron with a moonlight would be a lovely setup. I will second that the crayford on the RS is excellent. I use mostly Hyperion eyepiece's and they are not light. The focuser handles them with ease. I would imagine a 2nd hand ED moonlighted would stand you somewhere in the region of £400-450. The RS is ready to go out of the box for about £240 although i had no idea they were hard to source.

Hi Damo,

As for the comfort thing, I built an observing chair that really takes the strain off. It didn't cost that much, and I posted complete plans and building instructions HERE. It works really well for me, and folds up into a single, flat piece. It could be a little lighter, but I prefer a sturdy seat under my bottom - even when I'm just a few feet off the ground! :)

Dan

Thanks for the link Dan. Your chair certainly looks fantastic. I think I just might have a go at this. My father is a retired carpenter so he will probably end up doing most of the work.

Very decent pair of scopes, I think the Tal looks great and am also looking forward to the day I may get a look through one. I guess you have had some brilliant views of Saturn and the Moon :)

Cheers Alan. I have to say i am very fond of the Tal. I have had some excellent viewing sessions with it. I use it mostly on the moon and it excels. I think its the old school looks that most like about them.

Damo

Cheers Alan. I have to say i am very fond of the Tal. I have had some excellent viewing sessions with it. I use it mostly on the moon and it excels. I think its the old school looks that most like about them.

Damo

Your not alone with the comment on your Tal, every post I see on them is full of praise. :eek: Only makes me want one even more :)

Happy Moon watching :)

Would you say it is worth it, in the views compared to your 200p Damo?

"Astronomy now" magazine did almost the same comparison in their September 2010 edition 150p vs 100r. 150p was found to give better views but the 100r was not as badly effected by seeing so allowed for more frequent observing.

I saw it as the 150p despite not offering regular observing is like having that one eye piece that allows 300x magnification. You don't get to use it all that often but when you do you are so glad you have it to hand. The refractor is going to allow you to observe more frequently but your going to be restricted to Planets or brighter DSO's. Can't have your cake and eat it in other words :)

Would you say it is worth it, in the views compared to your 200p Damo?

Hi Adam. When i bought the Tal from its previous owner, the plan was to compare both scopes for a couple of months and then decide whether i would join the refractor camp or stay with the reflector camp. 4 months on i have come to the conclusion that both scopes have their merits. I often set both scopes up together to view different targets. The reflector i use mostly for dso's and the Tal mainly on the moon and planets. I would agree with Spaceboys post in that the Tal is much less affected by bad viewing conditions. On the other hand though when the seeing is good the reflector completely wipes the floor in all other areas. It's a bit of an unfair comparison though as the reflector has twice the aperture. The Tal is really sharp but i suppose if i had to keep only one i would choose the reflector simply because it shows me more. I have actually been considering selling both scopes and upgrading to a 12'' dob. I am just developing the early symptoms of aperture fever!

Damo

Archived